Time for a Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by new-Mac-owner, Jun 24, 2008.

1. new-Mac-owner macrumors regular

Well about 7-8 months I bought a macbook pro And I love it But Ive been Doing alot of photo work for ebay sales and Research etc.....Well long story Short my Hdd getting Very near full 250gb+ 500gb external.I am going to keep it but Should I buy a mac pro? is it to much for this work or Should I Spring for an iMac-Well let me know what you guys think:apple:

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Sounds like you don't really need the power of a mac pro, just the storage. Perhaps look into getting a 2TB external drive, and not getting another computer.

3. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

Well I though About that But it seems I tend To not have good luck The last 750gb had 45% full And it just Stop working luckly I had Back up:apple: Any Suggestions on Brands ? apple?

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Apple does not manufacture hard drives. The brands I prefer are WD or Seagate.

5. kabunaru Guest

If you have the money for the Mac Pro, go for it. It will complement your MacBook Pro very well too. :)

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

This is true, my setup exactly. Just don't buy a mac pro because you need more storage.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

He doesn't need a MacPro for ebay photos and research. Get an external. I 2nd WD or Seagate.

8. kabunaru Guest

What if the OP wants to get the Mac Pro down the line? :p
    It's his money not yours, let him buy what he wants. Worry about your own stuff.

9. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Well, obviously you already have a "Pro"

As for your talk of ebay pictures, that makes no sense. Pictures on eBay tend to be well under a megabyte. Unless for some unfathomable reason you're doing 999-layer 1024x512's and saving them as .PSDs, I have no idea how you could fill a hard drive that way.

Either way as has been mentioned, you don't need more processing power, you need more hard drive space, so go buy an external drive.

If you had one fail, that's bad luck, I've never had any go bad.

10. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

Well I agree ,I am also working on an Internship With a well know photographer in my area and I am learning Photoshop, and many new apps that I would also like to use,Mac pro for home and my macbook pro for travel but I dont want to carry around 4 hdd-Thanks for the good advise:apple:

11. kabunaru Guest

That's the spirit. Just follow your heart on what to buy.
    Go get your Mac Pro and tell us about it. I will congratulate you in the Mac Pro section. :)

12. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

Yea,I believe that now I think its time to buy one,money not a problem I want to have a good set up so if I do make a full Job out of this business I am able to use it for a long time not every year and I think the pro is It.:apple:

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The irony. ;)

Originally it was research and ebay photos. With more information he wants to make a full time career out of something that could benefit from having a MacPro. I'm far from worried about his stuff. He asked, similar to someone asking about what color to paint their room. ;) Get the point?

My guess is no.

14. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

Well what color Should I paint my room,I am Trying to paint a picture In my Head not my room understand?

15. indiochano macrumors regular

even for some intense photo retouch work, id recommend the iMac.... 8 cores/4 core will be a bit too much power (and most of it will be unused, hence, wasted dollars...)

unless you do intense video editing/compositing/3d rendering, i'd say stick with a 24 inch iMac... that one should be good enough for your needs

16. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Well, if you're going to be dealing with RAW file formats and running something like Aperture, then I'm sure a new top-o-the-line iMac would be fine. Although, you'd probably want the Mac Pro machine for the 4 drive bays. Keeping tens of thousands of RAW files takes up a lot of space when you're dealing with 10MP images. More drive bays means you can also have your Time Machine drive/backup drive internally. No more messy external drives to contend with.

And if you're going to be editing huge 4G files in Photoshop, then you're going to want to have a ton of RAM. So that is another thing to consider. While the iMac maybe more than capable, the Mac Pro will get things done a lot faster.

17. dchao macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm... Photoshop CS3 is still a 32-bit application, which means it can only address up to 3GB. Even if you fill Mac Pro up with 32GB of memory, PS can only use 3GB of them.

18. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

Yea very true and last a long time,:apple: