Time for a replacement? Opinions please.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Missjenna, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Missjenna, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

Over the past few weeks I've been having issues with my 3G signal. 3G is not the best to begin with because I live in a rural area, so when it's having issues I really notice. I've called my carrier and they say there are no issues with the tower.

Basically, where I would normally have 3 bars of 3G, I'm now only getting 1 bar, or it's toggling back and forth with edge. I've done at least 4-5 restores and it doesn't make a difference.

The thing is, I won't be able to recreate the problem for apple because when I'm in areas with good 3G its fine.

Before I waste my time calling/driving up there, what do you guys think? Thanks ☺

Edited to add: besides restoring, I've also reset network settings and reset all settings. And I have an iPhone 4 jail broken on 5.1.1.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Are you able to track down anyone else with an 3G capable idevice to see how it performs in the same areas?

3. Missjenna thread starter macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

Yeah, I've asked a few people on AT&T and they don't seem to be having any problems.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Well then, definitely seems to be your phone. Is it under warranty? I
    d try and get some photo/video evidence of your phone next to another iPhone where yours is doing it's 3G to EDGE dance while the other phone is working fine. You may not need it, but at least you will have it as proof. It sort of depends on the mood at the Apple store. They don't always require that the issue be reproduced for them to swap the phone out.

5. Missjenna thread starter macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

Yes, it should be anyways. I bought my original iPhone 4 back in April, had to get a replacement in may due to the iPhone being completely fried (screen would not turn on, iTunes would not recognize it, etc). So this is actually a replacement phone. Am I SOL since its a replacement?

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You shouldn't be SOL. You got the replacement from Apple, right?

7. Missjenna thread starter macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

Yes I did. I'll give them a quick call when I have some free time and see what they say as well. I really don't want to make the 80 mile drive for nothing. Lol. Thanks for your opinion :)

8. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

Sometimes it's easier if you have applecare. Despite the cost, they ship you another phone and then send your defective phone back after you're received and updated the replacement.

I've had two bad phones already and this was done twice.

I'm about 80 miles from the nearest Apple store also.