Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I have an iphone 3GS running IOS version 4.0 with baseband 5.11.07. I haven't jailbroken since the release of 4.0 last year using Pwnage tool. What do I need to do in order to upgrade?

Is there a software upgrade (4.1 or 4.2) that allows me to keep my current phone unlocked?

I read the dev team blog, but I've been out of the loop so long that I'm confused. :confused: Thanks in advance!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
I have an iphone 3GS running IOS version 4.0 with baseband 5.11.07. I haven't jailbroken since the release of 4.0 last year using Pwnage tool. What do I need to do in order to upgrade?

Is there a software upgrade (4.1 or 4.2) that allows me to keep my current phone unlocked?

I read the dev team blog, but I've been out of the loop so long that I'm confused. :confused: Thanks in advance!

Check Cydia to see if you have your phone SHSH in Cydia. If it doesn't, then you are out of luck to upgrade your IOS while preserving old baseband.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
Check Cydia to see if you have your phone SHSH in Cydia. If it doesn't, then you are out of luck to upgrade your IOS while preserving old baseband.

It's on file with Cydia. So what are my options? Can I use Green Poison if i've used Pwnage tool previously? Also, will I still be able to unlock if I use Green Poison?

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
You will need to use the pwnage tool to cook up your own custom 4.1 IPSW (one that will NOT upgrade the baseband) and install it through iTunes whilst using Tiny Umbrella.

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
You will need to use the pwnage tool to cook up your own custom 4.1 IPSW (one that will NOT upgrade the baseband) and install it through iTunes whilst using Tiny Umbrella.

Whilst using TU? Care to elaborate?

I've cooked up a 4.1 .ipsw with Pwnage Tool 4.1.2, but when (option-click) restoring in DFU mode in iTunes, I get a message about 'Erasing, Restoring and Verifying with Apple'. Is that normal?

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Using TU
-after opening TU, pick the correct device and click save my SHSH
-once your blobs are on your computer, you can determine which iOS you can install
- start the TU server. It may be necessary to check settings to ensure that TU is pointing toward the cydia server
-<option>+restore and pick the appropriate ipsw
-if the bb doesn't update, you'll get an error message
-if necessary, kick out of recovery with TU

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
Using TU
-after opening TU, pick the correct device and click save my SHSH
-once your blobs are on your computer, you can determine which iOS you can install...

Phew, so much to take on board.. This is what I don't get... all the vids I've watched on YT make no mention of using TU when updating from 4.0 --> 4.1 using Pwnage Tool.

Also, 'if the baseband doesn't update, you'll get an error message...'

I thought the point of using Pwnage Tool was that the baseband doesn't update, preserving your unlock.

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick.. this is all new to me...

spetznatz

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
I did, thanks.

I spent all that time & effort learning about jailbreaking (my iPhone was sold to me jailbroken) because I need to use PAYG SIMs in the UK & Germany. Then I gradually find out that under European law, carriers are obliged to unlock your iPhone after the initial contract expires. So that's what I did. No jailbreaking necessary (I'm not interested in jailbreaking per se, it's the unlock that's important to me, and I was told that you have to JB before unlocking). So I'm a happy camper.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.