Time for an upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shenfrey, Feb 15, 2011.

  1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

    May 23, 2010
    Hey guys,

    I have quite a bit of money saved up and can now afford an upgraded macbook. First a bit of history..

    I have only ever owned one macbook, I bought it 4-5 years ago. Its one of the old C2D 2GB ram and it was way before the new unibody upgrade and the LED glass upgrade and the giant trackpad upgrade. Its pretty much falling apart now, just wear and tear over the years I havn't been treating it like dirt. The sideskirts around the screen are starting to come off, the keys arn't as 'pressy?' as they use to be and the screen quality isn't as vibrant as it was and its a very rough looking laptop now.

    I use this laptop every day of my life, I use it in bed, I use it when I come home from work when I can't be bothered to switch my Imac on, and I use it when I have my son round so I can keep an eye on the lil guy whilest still watching youtube videos! What do I use my macbook for? Well I use it for internet browsing and youtube mainly and music. I don't play games on it although if I could I would, I would play old games like sims and classic RPGS, unfortunatly my macbook can't handle these sort of games very well with its low grade, 4 year old intergrated graphics. My computer is starting to come to a crawl now and is crashing alot as well due to the amount of stuff i have on there and I don't really want to format and my screensize is tiny, its about 13" (or even less, I can't remember, its small either way!)

    But what do you guys recommend I do? Is it time for an upgrade or should I make do with what I have? Thanks guys, apprieacte your help and if its worth upgrading which one do you recommend I purchase based on my needs.
  2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

    Nov 2, 2010
    Time for an upgrade. If you can wait, there should be new MBP models coming out soon. You should have a look at those.
  3. AdamRock macrumors 6502a


    Aug 30, 2010
    i would make due with what you have, and after the refresh if they add a new feature [or your computer stops working] then purchase a new mbp.
  4. croooow macrumors 65816


    Jul 16, 2004
    I would say it's time for an upgrade, 4-5 years is a long time for a notebook computer.

    First thing I would do is go to an Apple store and look at the current line of MacBooks. I think any of them would handle your needs, even the MacBook Air. If you need a larger screen you'll have to go with a "Pro", if you need to store a lot of music then an "Air" may not be enough (just depends on your music collection) How big is your current hard drive, how full is it and do you store a lot on an external drive (do you do that just because you have limited space?) or do you still have a lot of room on your hard drive on the old machine?

    Second, if your computer is still usable I would wait a little longer if you're leaning toward the white MacBook or MacBook Pro. If you're leaning toward a MacBook Air, now is a good time to buy it.
  5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 30, 2010
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Yep, if you can hang on a bit longer you may get a good deal on the current model Pro`s or you can wait for the refresh and see what that brings.
    I`d be surprised if we don`t see something by March (just my guess).
  6. parseckadet macrumors 6502a


    Dec 13, 2010
    Denver, CO
    In the end, you're the only one who can determine whether you need to upgrade or not. I will, however, explain my thinking when asking myself the same question. The question you ask yourself shouldn't be "Is my laptop too old?" Instead, ask "Does my current laptop meet my needs, both now and in the near future?" When the answer becomes no, then it's time to upgrade.

    I'll use myself as an example. I have a 2003 17" 1GHz PowerBook G4 and a 2006 17" Core Duo iMac. The screen on the PowerBook is splotchy and the C key fell off a year ago. Sure sounds like I need an upgrade. Except all my needs are being met because my main computer (a Dell, sadly) is provided to me by my employer, and I bought an iPad last year.

    That having been said, here comes the near future part. I am going to upgrade my laptop this year, more as an insurance policy than anything else. I'm a software developer, and while I do all my development on my work system, if I were to lose my job I would be up a creek with my current setup. Not that I plan on getting fired or anything, but I've learned to take advantage of the good times to prepare for any bad times that might be ahead.

    One other thing to take into consideration is your current finances and near future spending. I've been struggling with my decision because I'm also trying to save for my wedding, and my car has 120,000+ miles and will need to be replaced in the next year or two. But I also figure that if I were to lose my job all of that would go out the window, but the need for a new computer would remain. Thus the decision to upgrade. Not sure if any of my rambling helps, but I hope it does.
  7. molala macrumors 6502a

    Oct 25, 2008
    Cambridge, UK
    It does sound like you have stretched that MacBook as much as it can go, and you would benefit a lot from a new model. Wait for the refresh, as others have suggested.
  8. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

    Mr. Chewbacca

    Apr 27, 2010
    Dallas TX
    Awesome, getting a new computer is like getting a new car, feels great.

    I would wait a few weeks for the refresh, you may still get the current model, it is my understanding that when a new model is launched the current units are sold as referb even if they have never been sold.

    I'm waiting, it sucks to wait but I think it will be worth it.
  9. mdgm macrumors 6502a

    Nov 2, 2010
    I thought they sold new, but discontinued products as clearance not refurb.

Share This Page