Time for an upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TMothy, Apr 27, 2014.

1. TMothy, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

TMothy macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2010
    Here's what I've got:

Mid 2010 17" MBP
    Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (Upgraded from 4GB's right after I bought it)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
    Storage: 500GB HDD 7200RPM

I'm a freelance filmmaker and editor and I'm slowly transitioning over from FCP7 to X and after using X on several projects, I'm actually starting to like it. The only thing is that it runs so rough at times it makes me want to send my 7 iron through it.

By rough I mean literally ever 5 seconds I've getting the spinning wheel of death and it'll stop responding even when I'm doing the simplest of tasks. If I just let it sit for a few minutes it'll usually come back, or it'll just crash. When I try to skim through footage, it'll start out realtime, but soon the frame rate beings to drop to the point where I have to stop and let it sit for a second, then try and skim again. I never had these issues with FCP7 nor did I experience anything like this when trying out my friends newish MBP, which leads me to believe that X doesn't like older MBPs.

I was using a Sonnet Tempo Express34 to eSata card but after I upgraded to Mavericks, it no longer supports the card so I had to resort to daisy-chaining my main array and my backup array via Firewire 800 which I'm sure isn't helping the situation either. I really need USB 3.0 and/orThunderBolt.

I've been contemplating throwing an SSD in there to give it a little jump start but I feel like it would be better for me just to put that money towards a new MBP.

I mean 4 years is pretty good for a laptop isn't it?

I would just get a Mac Pro and be done with it but I do a fair bit of traveling and I hope I'll be doing even more so portability is key.

So here's what I was looking at getting:
    15" MacBook Pro w/ Retina
    2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M w/ 2GB GDDR5

Obviously its not a good time to buy one right now, so I'll definitely be waiting for the update later this year.
    Hopefully the update is significant because I just can't wait for the next big update, I needed a new mac yesterday. :(
  2. Marty62 macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2010
    Berlin formerly London
    Tim, sounds to me that you need the update now, so go for it.

The best computer is always the one you need NOW :)

No one is sure when / what will come and I doubt it will be anywhere near as
    significant as the change from a 2010 model to the one you have posted.

That's my 2 c's .... up to you but I couldn't work like that and have to wait
    for "the beach ball of doom" to go away the whole time !!

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

Apr 21, 2010
    I presume your work deals with a lot of I/O, so a SSD is mandatory. Also, why did you upgrade to Mavericks? Bad decision if your system worked well with Snow Leopard/Lion/M.Lion. I made the same mistake when I upgraded my white Macbook to Mavericks and I lost CUDA support for my 9400m video card.

A brand new Macbook will bring new problems to you, like having to buy new enclosures (move from Firewire to USB3 or Thunderbolt). You'll probably need a Thunderbolt dock since rMBPs have only 2 USB and 2 Thunderbolt ports. Well, of course a new Macbook will bring other advantages, like faster I/O and processing power, but do you really need this or do you just need a faster storage (most SSDs will multiply your I/O speed by 5 or even more)?
  4. TMothy thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2010
    Haha I ask myself that every day. :( I waited a little bit before I did, I wanted to make sure all the programs I use were supported which they were, but stupid me, I didn't check think to see if the E/34 card would be supported too. Although after talking to Sonnet about it, they didn't see the issue coming either. After about a week of diagnosing the issue they came to the conclusion that my specific model has an issue with the built-in Apple PCI drivers continuing to operate the E/34 slot in Mavericks. And only apple could fix it with a patch. Well who knows how long (if ever) it would take to fix that specific issue.