Time for Apple to ditch Barclay....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Chip NoVaMac, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Let me say that I love 0% interest credit cards....

Got my MBA this past Fall because of it, along with my better half at the same time. They got to payoff their MBA purchase a couple weeks ago because of direct deposit of their returns - I choose the check method, so I had to wait.

In the mean time they were thinking of the iPad 2; but was told by Barclay that my partner had no choice other than doing a balance transfer. He was not aware that there is a fee to do that. In the mean time I get an offer for 0% till the end of May! They called Barclay last night; and was told that this offer was "selected" at random" - right!

In the end, I look at Barclay giving me the offer since I have balances out there with them and a couple other accounts. Lucky for me I manage my debt well, or so I think....

Fast forward to Apple using Wells Fargo for "solo" retail accounts. We use them in my shop for 6 months interest free. For any purchase! Also scored one from Micro Center for my iPad 2.

In the end I and my customers are able to buy much more from retailers that we use. How the consumer manages their finances are their own.

I doubt that I will take advantage of the 0% offer for Apple gear from Barclay. Want to wait till the updates on the iMac and Mac mini.

To the end it does not matter to Apple. They get the sale... But having 0% interest buying at any time at the Apple Store helps them in the end... sort of how my store's competitors have the edge with 12+ month interest financing...

2. superfula macrumors 6502

Hmm, perhaps it's because I've worked all day and my brain has checked out, but I'm not clear on why you think it's time to ditch Barclay.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I could not make much sense of it either...

OP, care to reword?

4. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Barclay works on the VIA aspect of the credit card... the 1st purchase with Apple is officially the only one that gets 0% financing... Other cards do it all the time....

Sorry but the point being is that was that Apple's/Barclay card has limits after the first 0% purchase. And the selective nature after two calls on extending the offer to my BF; and none needed on my part.

Reeks of the "rich" getting "richer"....

Beyond that, the ability for Apple to gain sales every 6 months with those that can't manage their money :(

5. superfula, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

superfula macrumors 6502

I don't see what's wrong offering a purchase at 0%. If you can pay the balance off before it starts charging, how is that bad?

I don't quite understand the rest of your post though.

6. rendy0212 macrumors newbie

rendy0212

How is this different than any other credit card out there?