Time for this loathsome show to go - Australian Top Model

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NewMacGirl, Apr 18, 2009.

1. NewMacGirl macrumors regular

Surely it's time for ths loathsome show to be forced off air.

I stopped watching a couple of seasons ago after watching a intelligent, sensitive and above all very pretty girl (one of the favourites) being physically and mentally bullied to the point she broke down. It was extremely distressing to watch and even more so when you have to consider it was allowed to continue and was filmed as entertainment by the judges and producers.

There was a bit of an out cry and the judges slapped the bullies wrists a bit but the main bully went onto win, whereas she should have been thrown off the show!

The judges are vile especially Alex Perry who is loathsome to his very core. He says things like honey I only do size 6 and below and worse if you read below. I seen him around Sydney always with his Sunglasses on his forehead which says it all really.
    By the sounds of things this season will be even worse. I hate watching bullying especially as entertainment. Reality TV has gone too far.

True if you don't like don't watch, which I do. Just how people can find watching phsycoloigical and phyical abuse entertainment is beyond me.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertai...ur-sad-but-true/2009/04/18/1240008827216.html

Model behaviour sad but true

Caroline Marcus
    April 19, 2009

Tearful debut … Clare Venema, 16, cries after being told she is pale and should get a tan in the opening episode.
    Advertisement

THE latest season of Australia's Next Top Model has yet to air but the catwalk quest is already controversial.

Concerns have been raised about bullying on the Foxtel reality show and nasty remarks directed at the contestants by the fashion designer judge Alex Perry.

In the first episode, to air on April 28, Perry tells his fellow judges - the model agent Priscilla Leighton-Clark and former model Charlotte Dawson - that some contestants look like "Frankenstein", "a wild pig", "fat", "a moose" and that one has "something spaz [spastic] with her teeth".

Julie Parker, general manager of the eating disorder group the Butterfly Foundation, said she was "very disappointed" with the comments, particularly as host and co-executive producer Sarah Murdoch was in the Federal Government's advisory group on body image.

"Teenage girls are particularly impressionable when it comes to their self-esteem and body image and seeing someone in a position of power put others down could make them question their own appearance and how they value themselves," Ms Parker said.

In the opening episode a pale-skinned Clare Venema, 16, is in tears after Leah Jonson, 18, tells her to "get out in the sun 'cause she might get a tan and look alive and look like she's not f---ing dug out of a grave".

An adolescent psychologist, Michael Carr-Gregg, said after last season - in which Alamela Rowan was bullied by the eventual winner, Demelza Reveley - it was "appalling that bullying was continuing". "Girls who behave like this need to be summarily kicked off the show," he said.

The show's co-executive producer, Lauren Rudd, said that Clare "does cop a little bit" but two of the girls were "rapped over the knuckles" as a result.

She said of the insults: "If we only ever put in positive comments about the girls all the way through, that is quite deceptive. That industry is very much about how the girls look."

The federal Youth Minister, Kate Ellis, who was in the advisory group on body image, said she had not seen the episode but hurtful comments were unhelpful.

2. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Sounds like a realistic preparation for the real world of modeling which is supposedly just as ruthless.

Ditching the show won't solve the real problem, which is that a small clique of mostly homosexual men decides that the rest of the world wants to see girls with behinds like 10 year old boys.

3. LiveForever macrumors 6502

Yes we used to watch this show but were turned off when Amelia had her break down. What she endured was not just industry bitching, it was constant relentless attacks and then culminating in her being woken up and soaked in water. It was horrible to watch, but they filmed it and only when there was a media backlash were they reprimanded for it!

Makes sense the gay men thing too. There is another gay guy Napolean Perdis who is also vindictive in his comments on the girls. Yes they are far worse than the female judges.

I am not homo phobic and have a few gay friends in case I get accused of this!

I prefer women curvy and voluptuos and its good to see this 'look' is making a come back (what a ridiculous thing to say a 'look') Most men don't want stick insects or women to look like school boys anyway.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The same backlash happened last year (yes, for the Australian version), except the bullying was even more intense. :rolleyes: I never watched the show anyway, but I hope everyone stops watching it.

Besides, I've seen hotter girls in The Crying Game.