Time for wife to choose

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vapor, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Vapor macrumors member

As some of you may know I got my wife an apple card for christmas and told her to wait for macworld for her new laptop. Well the day has come and we are pretty underwhelmed by the MBA......high price, if you cary the super drive just as heavy, slower processor, no ram upgrade, can't use a wireless mobile card, thick bezel so other than that it looks Great and love the multitouch! She has got a 2100 dollar budget and would like to hear opinions. She doesn't game but would like photoshop.

My advice is to get the macbook "mid range", She likes white.

92.50 ram upgrade owc 4 gig

1392.50 total
    that leaves her 7 hundie to play with, heck she might even buy me a Steak

or a MBA 1799.00

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Save the $700 and get the mid-range Macbook. Then use the $700 on a romantic get away for the both of you! ;)

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

As I've said in other threads if you strip everything away then the MacBook Air and the MacBook are very similar machines in terms of power. Comparing the MacBook Air to the MacBook Pro is silly because the only common ground is price.

If you don't need the power of a MacBook Pro (ie, if you don't need a dedicated graphics card) then get a MacBook.

5. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

the MB, it's really a MBPro without the gfx card imo. (and smaller screen, of course!)

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Along with the steak she could get AppleCare, an external HD (for Time Machine), a nice bag, and a USB mobile aircard. White is right. :apple:

7. Vapor thread starter macrumors member

Is the macbook that far away from a macbook pro the only difference I see is the dedicated graphics card.....I admit that is a glaring difference but for browsing playing with home videos and photos is it that big a deal.

You are thinking like I am thinking external hardrive, and a steak we could all be happy.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You won't notice a difference "playing with home videos" and it certainly won't have an impact on photo editing. The main advantage to the graphics chip in MBP is that it can draw 3D images much more quickly which is particularly useful in 3D modeling or when playing games.

If you don't actually know that you need a dedicated graphics chip then you probably don't need it. Go for the MacBook and spend some of the other money on accessories.

Personally I much prefer the design of the MacBook to the MacBook Pro. The keyboard is much nicer and the unit feels a lot more considered in its design. I also like that it is more compact (even if it is slightly thicker) and the screen is the perfect size for me.

9. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

This is a no brainer, but people need certain things. Does your wife travel a lot? Does she need portability or does she need processing power? If she needs to travel and all that, MBA would be nice, but yet again the MB is only 2 pounds heavier. I would go with a MB over the MBA just because of price and specs.

10. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

11. Vapor thread starter macrumors member

Thanks you guys have more or less confirmed my thinking. We don't game on a pc's anymore just the 360's. Back when i use to have 3d studio you would not even consider a laptop for 3d animation. I remeber the day of 24 hours to render 30 seconds of animation....LOL

12. Vapor thread starter macrumors member

Yeah but it isn't that stylish, sorry.

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The MacBook is actually a capable gaming machine for older titles. The new MacBook has a much improved Intel graphics chip and while you won't be playing new releases like Call of Duty 4 or Crysis, I have tried GTA: San Andreas and games from <2004 and can report they are playable.

For the type of things that you've said you'll use it for, MacBook is perfectly sufficient.

14. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

BITE that stuff!

15. Sean9689 macrumors member

I liked the 15" screen which tipped me towards a MBP. I played with my fiances sisters MB and really didn't like the "feel" compared to the MBP. That's just me though, the MB is a great laptop!

16. gyumilly macrumors member

17. Vapor thread starter macrumors member

I like the MBP problem is you need another 350 to get the good graphics card which is what I would suggest. This would then come out of my pocket again. lol

18. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

I can only say that I don't regret getting my girlfriend a MB for christmas. She uses the built in optical alot for ripping CDs to iTunes. She uses more than one USB port most of the time and she likes the colours of it(more than the MBA).

Aaaaand of course there's the price tag ;)

19. khunxhor macrumors member

orrrrrrr.....she could get applecare(might/will eventually need)....and go on a SHOPPING SPREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....(meaning clothes/pampering), not an external HD, bag, and usb mobile aircard :p:p:p

but I have to agree on the white!:D

20. Vapor thread starter macrumors member

well she has it in hand and is happy and so am I.:D

21. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Time for wife to choose
    Oh... I thought this thread was going to be much juicier than it turned out.

Bummer ;)