Time Freeze Effect in Final Cut Express?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Apr 22, 2009.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I was wondering how I can achieve the effect like Hiro does in the show Heroes when he freezes time or something similar in Final Cut express or imovie?

Effect found here at 0:31-0:39

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The time freeze effect in the video you linked to is pretty simple. What they did was lock the camera down on a tripod and shoot the kids skateboarding then have those kids move out of the shot and shoot the singer coming up to the glass. You then put the kids on V2, the singer on V1 and use a matte to 'cut a hole' in the footage on V2 so that the singer on V1 shows through. If you watch carefully you'll see the kid in the white shirt's reflection disappear from the glass when they get 'frozen'.

Other types of "time freezes" where people interact w/the environment and/or move around 'frozen' people/objects are more complicated to pull off.

Lethal

3. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

hmmm...good eye Lethal! Do you know which matte I would use? Also, would I use a 'create still frame' effect to pause the footage and then just pick it up again when I want to 'unfreeze' it?

Is it the same thing in 1:18-1:27?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If FCE has a 'garbage matte' that's what you'd want to use. And yeah you can use a still for the 'freeze'. Depending on the complexity of the shape you want to matte out you might not be able to do this in FCE. You'd want to use something like AE or Motion. If you just want need to matte out a basic shape (like a square) not sweat. If you need to matte out the outline of someone's body then you might be out of luck w/FCE.

The second freeze frame is the same basic premise but more complicated to pull off. Even though it's for AE, this is a good tutorial talking about this effect at VideoCopilot.net

Lethal

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I think the best matte option you can pull off is an 8 point matte. But fortunatel that should be enough

6. huntercr macrumors 65816

There is a 50 point matte free plugin you can download for free here which works with Final Cut Express.

7. RatVega macrumors member

You can download a set of Paul Crisp 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64-point garbage mattes (and other neat stuff) from kenstone.net

Google Paul Crisp or just start exploring on the FCP homepage, it's an excellent resource.