Time in OS X consistently wrong...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Xander562, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Whenever I boot into Windows XP under boot camp then later boot into OS X, the time (and sometimes date) are off by several hours. The time in Windows, however, stays correct. I've tried re-setting the time as well as telling it to automatically set the time. The latter seems to fix it sometimes as in once a month or so. (I guess it only actually automatically syncs time every so many days?) Yet once I boot into windows, it messes with the time in OS X again.

Anyone else have this problem?

Suggestions on how to fix it?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

search the forum! everyone has this problem. the only way to fix it is to open the date and time preferences each time you need to set the clock.

3. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yep, I don't know of anyone who doesn't have this problem unfortunately.

5. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

According to the discussion about the new software utility that allows you to overclock the new Mac Pros, evidently Apple uses the system bus clock to keep time and not a separate "clock chip" like most every other OS on the planet.

So if that clock is sped-up or slowed-down (like when the MacBook/MacBook Pro throttle their speed to save battery life), the time can speed up or slow down, as well.

So it is possible that while you are in BootCamp, time has "stopped" for OS X and therefore when you reboot into OS X, it re-starts the clock from that past value.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

no, it seems like a pretty random time whenever I boot into OSX. It's never the time before I booted into windows.

7. BobZune macrumors 6502a

You can set up XP to use Universal time zone instead of local. See
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2006072022590888&query=osx+and+windows+XP+time+zone