Time in seconds before grey screen Powerbook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by justperry, Jul 29, 2012.

1. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Just a short question.

How long does it take on a powerbook G4 (1.67 Ghz) from pressing the On button to the grey screen with the Apple Logo.
    I ask this because My Powerbook has the known lower RAM slot problem and it takes about 10-15 seconds before the grey screen with the Apple logo shows up.
    Is this a normal time?
    I bought this Powerbook about 2 years ago, doing well except the lower slot is "non functioning"
    Would it be faster if I remove the 512MB Dimm, actually stupid question, I can easily try that out myself;).

2. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

I also have a 1.67 with faulty lower slot, seconds from button to apple: 17.

3. justperry thread starter macrumors G3

justperry

So it seems fine, hopefully someone without the "faulty" lower slot can actually tell us if this is normal.

I say "faulty" because it is not really faulty, most probably a firmware update would have solved the problem but we can forget about getting that.

4. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

5. justperry thread starter macrumors G3

justperry

Cheers AquaDock, I assume it's on a fully working Powerbook?
    Don't think it makes a lot of difference in between slower/faster Powerbooks/ibooks.

6. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

yes mine is fully working, i guess the time you have is normal and nothing to do with the ram slot.

7. justperry thread starter macrumors G3

justperry

Thanks

What I first noticed two years ago when I got this Powerbook secondhand that it took so long before the grey screen arrived.
    I had a powerbook G3 (fastest) one before this one and it took just 2-3 seconds to show the grey screen.
    I even got it to boot into my user account in under 30 seconds, fastest I think was near to 20 seconds, this all after removing many unnecessary .Kexts extensions and tweaks.
    Thought about writing a topic many times before about this, now I know it's normal.