Time is always incorrect

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheMacBookPro, May 27, 2008.

1. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Hey,

I have a Penryn 2.4GHz MBP, and I've noticed that sometimes, after I didn't use the machine for a couple days, the time is wrong. It's wrong on both OS X and Windows XP. I don't have 'set the time automatically' on, and I set the time to the correct time every time it's wrong. If I reboot right after changing the time, it's not wrong. But, if I leave the machine for a couple days, then it's wrong again. Any ideas?

TheMacBookPro

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Recommend that you set your preferences to automatically set the time.

There is an issue between the Mac and PC way of computing the date/time, so when you go back and forth between the two environments this can happen. I'v found it best to automatically set the time turned on for both Mac and Windows.

3. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I've already tried that. Doesn't work, as sometimes I'm not even connected to the Internet (too cheap to get a wifi router, and too lazy to connect ethernet) Would the problem be related to me removing the battery a couple weeks ago(took it out just for the sake of seeing what's inside :p) ?

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I see.

Did you put the battery back in? If so, then the battery is not the issue.

As I mentioned in my post above, going between the Mac OS and Windows (via Bootcamp) will cause time issues. The easiest solution is the automatic time via wireless or ethernet, neither of which you want to use.

So hopefully someone else can chime in here with a solution that will work for you besides setting the time each time you change OS'es.

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

the latest bootcamp drivers fixed this issue, cant understand why you have it

afaik the solution is to do it automatically

try emailing apple

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Try resetting your PRAM as it may be corrupted. Things like Time, Display settings, hardware, etc. are held in PRAM.

When you removed the battery, the capacitor (that holds the charge for retaining the PRAM) may have depleted (I don't know how long you left the battery out for). The charge should actually last for a few days.

7. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I have had this problem as well and it only seems to occur when I am not connected to the internet.

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

All computer clocks will "drift" (fast or slow) to some degree and as time goes on, it will become more apparent. That's the purpose of Time Servers and automatically synchronizing the time with computers. This is done thru the internet.

If you have "synchronize automatically" set in the Date & Time Preferences, when you do connect to the internet, your clock will be set for the correct time.

9. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I would not call that drift as much it may be called a swerve.

Some times when I leave at 7 my laptop will be closed until 11 or 12.

when I open it back up I often see the time still displayed as 7.

Though yes it does reset as soon as I am online.

10. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I get this too. I remember reading some where that you have to change some things in the windows registry to fix it... don't remember exactly what is was tho.

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

there's actually a small coin sized battery inside the MBP, underneath the superdrive.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

13. TheMacBookPro thread starter macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Last time I checked (2 days ago) Windows Update and the Apple Software Update (in both Win and OS X) and there were no updates, except for iTunes in Windows.

Hmm... too lazy :eek: It's restart + CMD-Opt-P-R right?

I thought so. I saw a small 'watch' battery in my Acer desktop when I added RAM to it.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's the way the time zones are done. You have set to set the time zone on your OS X to GMT when you install Windows. If you don't it'll take whatever time zone you used and assume it's GMT and therefore it has the screw up.

I just set mine to automatic and the computer will fix itself.

15. philgilder macrumors 68000

i'm in the uk and therefore on GMT and its still an hour out

16. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

There is a CMOS battery which provides power when the main battery is taken out. I don't believe taking the battery out will cause a problem in reading time, or cause the PRAM to get corrupted.

17. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Bootcamp does this to me. Every time I run bootcamp and then go back into OSX, the time is wrong and I have to uncheck and recheck the auto-check the button to update the time.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The fix: