Time lapse editing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by skippymac, Jan 13, 2014.

1. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

Hi Guys,

I've just bought a go pro style action cam (mivi HD10) and I'm taking my first steps in video editing.

I've got a few questions about making time-lapse sequences.

I've been using quicktime pro to assemble the sequences because iMovie doesn't seem to handle it very well (it's very jumpy and I can't seem to get it to go below 4ms per frame).

I've just done a few adjustments in aperture to all the photos to get the style and cropping right, this is obviously taking quite a while. Is it best to edit the frames in a photo editor like this and then stitch them together, or would I be better off doing all the editing in iMovie? Presumably aperture will do a better job of editing each frame?

Another question is a bit more general, but I was wondering if it's worth upgrading to any other video editing software compared to iMovie at the moment, or if iMovie will be fine until (if) I get more serious and go for something like FCP or adobe premiere? If I did it would have to be something fairly low cost.

2. skippymac thread starter macrumors 6502a

skippymac

I've got another question which I'd love someone to point me in the right direction about.

The camera has a 170 degree lens, so the pictures come out with a fish eye type distortion.

What is the best way to correct this? Is there a good plugin for aperture or should I be using some other software? Also when I need to correct this distortion in a video what software can I use for that?

3. waboosh macrumors newbie

Hello! I've done a little timelapse editing but no expert, hopefully I can still help. I use the gopro as well and I would maybe look into Adobe After Effects along with Premiere (some quick youtube searches will help you get this very a CHEAP *wink wink* price. It will allow you to edit the first picture with a nice software followed up by adobe synching them all into a video file so its very quick and easy to use.

I would also look into a program called LRtimelapse. It's an awesome program built to help mainly deflicker your timelapse along with other features. Depending how long you want them the free version may be enough to get you by, but if needed there is a full version for purchase.

As far as the fisheye look goes, just google it, there are TONS of ways to correct this issue and would probably be easiest once you have a final video file.