Time Lapse Photography

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jjk454ss, May 23, 2012.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I want to make a time lapse video of something over several months. I see some apps for taking this, but want I want is just an app that will overlay the previous pic so that I can line them up. I want to make sure I take the pics from as close to the same position as possible. Something like some of the panorama apps will do.

Hopefully I got my idea across. Is there something like this out there? Or any recommendations on how I can best do this? Thanks

2. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

I think I understand what you're getting at. I haven't seen such an app, but it sounds like you need a viewfinder that will overlay the real-time camera view (at say 50% transparency) on an existing image. Or, half the screen could show a real-time image, and the other half could be an existing image, and you match up side-to-side.

Failing that, I would suggest to solve the problem by making a rigid camera holder that can register its position to physical features of the area it will be placed (against a wall, along the edge of a railing, etc.). If it's in a public place, just make sure that you register to a permanent structure.

A final thought. I don't have any experience with such software, but you might check into image stacking software (commonly used for astrophotography). This software may allow you to stack your images even if they are not exactly aligned.

Regards,
    Tom

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I was thinking of making something like that to hold the camera, but I did find an app called iTimeLapse Pro. It has the overlay of you old shot at a lower transparency like you described. I only played with it a little, but it seems like what I needed.

Thanks