Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBP123

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2006
I am trying to figure out the best way to setup a project I am working on using only an iPod Touch/iPhone.

Basically, I want to wall mount (in waterproof case) an iPod touch on my balcony to automatically take photos at a predetermined time frame (which I haven't yet decided). Likely something like every hour for a few months. It will be plugged in all the time, so battery dying isn't an issue.

I want the option to combine these into a time lapse video, and/or just have the stills available to use. Also, I would like the photos to somehow be automatically uploaded every time one is taken to a website/tumblr/etc with as little manual effort as possible. Assuming this would require some type of script if an app isn't available for that.

Any thoughts on how I could go about this?

c2c4c

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
I am trying to figure out the best way to setup a project I am working on using only an iPod Touch/iPhone.

Basically, I want to wall mount (in waterproof case) an iPod touch on my balcony to automatically take photos at a predetermined time frame (which I haven't yet decided). Likely something like every hour for a few months. It will be plugged in all the time, so battery dying isn't an issue.

I want the option to combine these into a time lapse video, and/or just have the stills available to use. Also, I would like the photos to somehow be automatically uploaded every time one is taken to a website/tumblr/etc with as little manual effort as possible. Assuming this would require some type of script if an app isn't available for that.

Any thoughts on how I could go about this?

The smugmug app called Camera Awesome has an interval mode for shooting. I think they have an auto upload feature too.

----------

PS: post up your results, please! :D

qubeofwar

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
Once you have your photos, you can just use a pc or mac application to compile the photos into your timelapse video.

MBP123

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2006
Yeah but I would like to make this as automatic as possible. Basically leave the iOS device on it's own, uninterrupted for weeks at a time taking photos and uploading them to somewhere. I don't want to have to select each photo to upload, nor do I want to sync to a computer.

c2c4c

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2012
Did you look at Camera Awesome?

It does what you want.

Not sure if it will go for a week unattended though....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342178564.272391.jpg

MBP123

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2006
Interesting. And this will go for a week or longer at whatever interval I set? An way to automatically upload the photos somewhere?

kennyny

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2013
I'd like attempt to realise a similar project. Are there any proper working time lapse apps with an auto-uploading functionality over 3G/LTE?

MBP123

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2006
I still haven't found anything that suits my needs. Anyone else have any luck?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.