Time lapse video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gslrider, Jul 13, 2011.

1. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

I'm hoping this is the right forum to post this question. I'm looking to hook up my Panasonic SD5 HD cam to my Mac, and take time lapse video, approx every 3-4 sec for about 10 hours. Unfortunately, my cam doesn't have that feature built in, and doesn't have a built in HDD. SD card won't be big enough to hold that much video. So I'm thinking to connect it to my Mac to store the video.

What app is available for the mac that can time lapse capture, more specifically control my camera to record on and off. Or perhaps there is a specific set up other than just hardware. Or is this even possible to do with my camcorder.

Thanks.

2. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I'm eventually wanting do do some time lapse video. Luckily my camera supports this. Off hand don't know of any software that does this. But make sure your video camera can turn off any power savings mode that can put your camera to sleep.

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I have a feeling that iStopMotion might have this feature but I haven't used that particular piece of software in a long time.

I know that EOS utility for canons allows you to use your mac to control your camera so I wonder if Panasonic does any software that does something similar?

4. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I just finished a time lapse video, but I did it with a DSLR instead of a video camera. Way easier, in my opinion.

I used a D7000 (it has a built-in intervalometer) with the extra battery grip and two 64GB SD cards. It allowed me to shoot for over ten hours every day for three straight months (pre-fab building construction) without losing a shot, running out of power or bumping the camera. Not only that, but my video is 4928 × 3264 instead of 1920x1080, and I can zoom and pan around the image without losing any resolution.

Doesn't get much better than that. :)

5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

A buddy of mine is doing the same thing, except he's using two cameras and shooting in 3D. He has everything synched and it's running off a modified motorcycle battery so that he never has to worry about running out of power. He's figured out a way to capture both cameras at the same time and dump the images straight to the hard drive on his laptop. Genius.

6. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

If OS X can see the camcorder try software like Evocam
    http://www.evological.com/evocam.html