Time Lapse with Flip, ZI6 or Vado?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by seattle, Sep 23, 2009.

1. seattle macrumors 6502

Is there an easy way to make a timelapse video with a Flip, ZI6 or Vado camcorder? I saw one that was made with quicktime pro but I was unsure how it was made. Any Ideas?

2. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Time-lapse videos are made from still shots, which are then sequenced. Some camcorders have a time-lapse function, but I doubt any of the cheap pocket ones do.

I'm pretty sure quicktime used to have a function to export each frame of a video. If you can still do that, I suppose you can shoot some video, export it all to single frames, delete some of the frames (do the math to figure out the interval you want to delete), and then put them back into video form. The problem is, time-lapse really only works when you are doing it over a long time (obviously). So you are going to have to take a lot of video if you do it this way.

Better to just use a still camera, preferably one that allows you to set an interval to take shots, or use software that allows you to control your camera from your computer. I think iStopMotion does this.

3. seattle thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. I guess I would need quicktime pro and that Quicktime X would not work.

4. Eric Mathes macrumors newbie

try imovie6 HD

Import to iMovie 6HD & then use the slider that allows you to make the video faster or slower. I've recorded numerous timelapse clouds for apx 30-60 mins. Then speed it up over & over 'til it looks good. Unfortunately Apple took the slow/fast feature out in ver. 8 & 9.

5. spice weasel macrumors 65816

No, the slider is still there. You can speed clips up to 8 times normal speed.