Time left - My Macbook (Life-span)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nerq, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Nerq macrumors newbie

Dear fellow Mac users,

I have recently replaced my Late 2006 White MacBook (Built and bought in April 2007) with a MacBook Pro. And my girlfriend has taken over my old Macbook, now I am thinking about replacing the harddrive and upgrading the OS in the system (i have previously done the RAM and the battery). BUT then I started wondering, how long should I expect the MacBook to keep on going? It is hitting the 5 year mark in the near future and I would hate to waste the upgrade on something that is going to die soon.

Besides the "standard" cracked plastic on the front it seems to working flawlessly. But is there anyway to check the actual condition or do any of you have any experience with your MacBooks dying?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Regards,
    Nerq

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Well, my 2007 MBP is still going strong. Heck, I still use it for work. There's no reason why a 2007 MB wouldn't suffice for simple stuff.

3. bdinger macrumors member

bdinger

I still have my circa-2002 Dual USB iBook G3, and it works just fine. It's slow, almost painfully when on the internet, but it works great.

And my MacBook actually replaced both my Titanium PowerBook G4 (550mhz/ATI Graphics) and my 1.2Ghz AlBook two years ago. Mainly because, again, they were getting pretty terribly slow on some internet apps I needed, and I got tired of having to search for a good browser :).

Suffice to say, yes it will. I tend to try to buy something quality and make it last some time. I've been tempted to replace my white MacBook with an air, but I rather like this machine. And it helps that I just picked up a big Pro for the beastly work :)