Time Machine a bit laggy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MythicFrost, Sep 22, 2009.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I've recently upgraded to SL, I'm not sure if the issue was present before.

When I browse through the time machine (moving through uhh time lines), it seems to be a bit laggy, but particularly noticeable when I quick look a file.. I see the background (stars) pause for a moment.

Is this normal?

Kind Regards

2. dryjoy macrumors regular

Not sure if it's normal, but Time Machine was previously very smooth for me under Leopard, and is now laggy just as you describe under SL. I'm running a 2009 quad core Mac Pro 2.66.
    The animations when I enter the time machine are also quite jerky.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

seems very odd, i dont know why it would change. are you sure you werent doing anything else network wise? do you have wireless or wired connections?

4. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I have both, normally only ethernet though.
    It's very glitchy TM. not sure why :O

Kind Regards

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

maybe they tried to optimise the way it worked, but in doing so they made it worse. are you sure that your computer hasnt been doing anything at the same time? no high network activity, no high CPU usage, how much free RAM? etc.

6. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I'm absolutely sure.
    With no applications except for Safari (3 mac rumours tabs open), and activity monitor, and only using 2% of 800% CPU (jumps to 12-14% when I activate time machine), that's including system and user CPU. 15.8GB free RAM.

It's laggy, glitchy, quick look opens slowly, and all my stars in the background stop moving for a second. Quite horrible now that I'm actually thinking about it.

:/

Kind Regards