Time Machine & A Dying HDD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mark7, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Mark7, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

Mark7 macrumors newbie

A few weeks ago, I wiped about 40 of my oldest time machine saves from my external as I was running out of room (how I would come to regret this). I knew i would be replacing the external soon, but I needed the space. In the backups I deleted, one of the backups was also the "Initial Time Machine Backup".

I have not yet ordered my new external, but tonight stumbled into an issue. The HDD inside my MacBook has decided to crap out. It is currently working in a "barely functioning" state...I was able to boot it up until this morning, now I can't get pass the loading screen when I boot my mac.

My question: when I deleted that Initial Time Machine backup, did the next backup that my Mac performed realize that there were many files on my HDD that were not present in any earlier backups, and decide to back up those files? I'm concerned that I've lost my music and photos... Are the full contents of my drive safe? Or am I going to be stuck losing my music library, photo library, and documents?

FYI - I tried to drag my 70GB iTunes folder to my external to save that, it lasted about 500mb before the drive started screeching/clicking and locked up the machine. So I'm not totally sure if I can salvage much of anything from the internal drive. Any info or tips would be much appreciated. Can't believe it happened, this drive is only a year old...and was performing fine all evening until all of a sudden it freaked out.

2. Mark7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any info would be greatly appreciated...i'm worried that I lost everything

3. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I can only speculate, but I would assume that Time Machine would have the latest state saved correctly even though you deleted the oldest backup. Then again, the only way to find out is to restore to a new drive and hope for the best. :D

4. Mark7 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's my hope JRoDDz!

My thought is:

I delete backups 1-40...i retain backups 41-80...80 is the final backup at the time of deletion. I would assume that backup 81 would realize that certain files from backups 1-40 were not present in the packet updates of 41-80, and would create a backup (#81) that would account for backups 1-40.

I guess we'll see once I get a new drive. Damn you Hitachi! Haha