Time Machine - A Few Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LGShepherd, Mar 22, 2009.

1. LGShepherd macrumors regular

Hi,

I am just about to back up my MacBook for the first time and I have a couple of questions.

1. I understand that it backs up every file on the computer, but if i do a fresh install and then update it with the back up then will I be back to square one and a fresh install would have been pointless?

2. Also, I am upgrading to the aluminum MacBook at some point and will want that refreshing with the back up I made. Will I be able to use a copy of the back up on a different MacBook?

2. Does it definitely back up all files such as pictures, music and movies? Sorry for such a noob question, but I am so worried that I back it up and do a fresh install then I will lose everything.

Sorry if the questions are noobish, but I want to make sure.

Thanks
    Liam

2. doreabe macrumors newbie

1) During a new install you are given the option to restore a previous backup. If you don't select that option, you can browse your backup in the finder after the install is complete and select the files that you want.

2) Yes, you can either restore the backup during install or pick and choose with the finder.

3)Yes, all files are backed up provided you have not excluded any files in the time machine preferences.

3. LGShepherd thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply! It helps alot!

I just didn't want to do a fresh install and then use a back up and make the fresh install pointless because my macbook is starting to run a little sluggish