Time Machine a Tomb...??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jakfrost, Apr 18, 2008.

1. jakfrost macrumors member

OK, before everyone fires off the odd missive about how I should do a massive 'search' before starting a new thread...I DID, and still have a question.

I have my hand on the panic button as we speak since I hadn't taken the time, and many discs, to burn backups of the data including many hundreds of photos that were on the hard drive of my old PC before hitting the 'format' button.

What I DID DO was backup both hard drives to my LaCie 500GB external HD that I use with Time Machine on my iMac. I created separate files on the external called 'H' drive, 'D' drive, etc. These contained all the data from the respective PC hard drives. Since the PC was part of my home network and all files were 'shared' I simply 'dragged and dropped' the files into the LaCie drive mounted on my iMac desktop.

Now when I try to access them from the iMac I get an error box saying "Connection failed. The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the server name or IP address and your network connection and try again". There is an "OK" box at the bottom.

So I unplugged the LaCie from the Airport Extreme and plugged it directly into a USB port on the iMac to preclude the IP address thing. No change.

When I click on "OK", I get another box saying "The alias 'H' could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found". My choices are 'Delete Alias', Fix Alias, or OK'. When I click on 'OK' or 'Fix Alias', the box goes away but nothing else happens. At least not anything good happens...

See line above re: Panic Button.

Have I lost all my data, most importantly the photos, etc? Or is it some kind of 'fat 32' or some other file format that the iMac cannot open?

HELP...PLEASE, my wife is ready to kill me if I don't kill myself. This whole transition part of moving to Mac has been trying, to say the least...

Jim

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

So you formatted the original drives and obliterated all those files before checking to see if your "backups" were successful? I converted from Windows to Mac over a month ago, migrated all my files over, and I STILL haven't deleted the originals from my Windows PC.

What I would do now is get a Windows PC and connect your Lacie to that, and see if the files still exist.

3. jakfrost thread starter macrumors member

After some careful examination of the steps I took to end up with this minor disaster, I think what was happening is that I too kept the PC for over a month after setting up the Mac, and it was part of my home network during that time of course, as that was how I moved a lot of the data over. I never quite understood the role of an 'alias', never having encountered this before, except of course in the TV series in which Ms Gardner made such an impression...

The files I thought were on the LaCie hard drive connected wirelessly to the iMac were in fact only an 'alias' of the drive still on the PC. When I would look into them I would of course see the contents but didn't realize they were in fact still on the 'original' drive in the PC.

Until I finally pulled the plug on the PC pacifier sitting in the corner, and formatted the drive. Then when I happened to go looking for some .jpg media on the LaCie backup, the 'H' drive I had looked at the day before was still there, but not really....its only an 'alias' to a drive now deleted.

Thats my best guess so far...

Jim

4. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Do you know what format your Lacie is? It needs to be FAT32 in order for both PCs and Mac to read and understand the files. NTFS is only for Windows, and HFS+ is Mac only. If it is NTFS or HFS+ you will need a specific computer to act as a "bridge" to a FAT32 system.................

5. jakfrost thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, good question. I had so much trouble setting up the 'wireless backup HD' using the Airport Extreme, I'm not sure what format it has on it now. I originally partitioned the LaCie with NTFS for the Windows stuff but then I had to remove the partition since there was problems mounting the HD with the partition...so I think it is all 'fat 32' now.

It has been quite an education for me migrating from 15 years on a PC to Mac, and setting up my first home network at the same time.

Not all the lessons have been pleasant but I'm still learning, albeit the 'hard' way in some cases...:eek:.

Jim

6. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

MacOS can read NTFS fine, just not write to it.

However, if a drive is connected to a network device it doesn't matter what format it is from the perspective of the users computer as it does not get direct access :)

If the drive is connected via an airport with nas capability and you've successfully viewed it contents, or put files on it, then format is not your problem.

7. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Going back up a few posts. Have you been able to get you data back? I read you formatted your PC hard drive. Even if you did format that drive you may still be able to recover a great deal of the images, music etc.

8. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

ouch.

yikes! nothing like loosing kid pictures to get a spouse fired up... :eek:

before anyone gets hurt, drop me a pm if you still have the pc drive, and have not been able to get the photos back as i do lots of data recovery on various platforms. if you will send me the formatted drive, i'll recover your stuff and send you back your drive and a burned copy of your photos.

best of luck!

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

For future reference when files are automatically creating an Alias when being dragged and dropped. You can hold the option (alt) key while dragging the files to copy or hold the command (apple) key while dragging to move the file. Though it may be vice versa, I am not currently at my Mac.

Their is actually a free utility and driver set to allow Mac OS X to read and write to connected NTFS drives. You must install MacFuse first then install the NTFS-3G driver, choose the appropriate versions for your Mac.

This has worked great for me and you do not have the 4GB file size limit that FAT32 has.

10. jakfrost thread starter macrumors member

PM SENT !!!

11. jakfrost thread starter macrumors member

Oh, and Velocityg...thanks for the link, I downloaded the software. Very cool stuff!

This board rocks!

Jim

12. alFR macrumors 68020

Although I'm sure 4JNA is honest, I'd just sound a note of caution about sending a hard drive with personal data on it to someone you've just met on a forum.... Personally I'd use a known data recovery company in that situation, but that's your choice.

re: the external drive: if you do a "get info" on it, how much space is used up? If there's very little used, that would suggest that you did indeed just put shortcuts to your data on there. If there's loads of space used, that would suggest the data is really there and you're just having trouble accessing it.

13. jakfrost thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the caution...it did occur to me that this might not be something I would want to do with my 'c' drive, but the secondary or 'slave' drive had only my Garmin routes and maps, and my photo backups. Mostly family photos, no neked wife/girlfriend, ( I should be so lucky :) ), type stuff.
    And you are of course right, if I had of had any doubts the data was in fact present I could have checked the drive volumes to confirm 'some' data was in fact there...but, I wasn't concerned until it was to late :(.

We'll see what come of the drive recovery attempt!

Jim