Time Machine, Acd, And External Hd Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Boika, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Boika macrumors regular

Heya!!! =]

I have a 750GB external HD for my future macbook pro which i will be ordering in about a week, i wont be able to lug my external hd around with me, so after a day at uni when i come home and plug in the external HD will time machine backup everything i had did in that day or will it only log changes that are made when its plugged in? And also how fast and effective is an external hd used through firewire 800 when plugged in to a cinema display that it then plugged into a macbook pro? i will be doing video editing etc, will this lag much? Thanks.

Edit- can i also partion a certain amount of that 750 GB HD for time machine, and also how much should i choose to partion for a 200gb HD? and again also, will time machine be able to go back in time through the screen shots as it does if some of the data that i was using was also saved onto say that same external HD or a flashdrive?

2. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yes, you can tell Time Machine to only use a certain amount, I would choose around the same space as the HDD your backing up.

No, I don't think Time Machine will back up things from external sources, but you can maybe set it to.

3. Boika thread starter macrumors regular

K thanks, anyone know how effective an external hd runs through the hub on an ACD?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

its a firewire 400 hub that is connected to a firewire 400 port on your mac. so it has exactly the same speed as firewire 400.

5. Boika thread starter macrumors regular

K thanks, anyone know how effective an external hd runs through the hub on an ACD?

Edit, oh thanks, i thaught there was a firewire 800 on the ACD, i must be mistaken oh well that shall do fine! thanks.