Time Machine acting strange on MBP. Advice sought

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kdum8, Feb 28, 2010.

1. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

So something strange has happened to my time machine backup. :eek: The backup repeatedly was reported as having being "delayed" and would not backup even if I told it to manually do so. I then tried to "change disk" and re-select the existing drive in case that fixed it.

Unfortunately my mac doesn't seem to recognise that it is a time machine drive and wants to erase everything and start again. The problem is that I have months and months of back records on the TM drive so I would rather not have to erase everything and just have the current backup.

There is nothing wrong with my drive as fas as I know. I did just get the mac back from the apple store (logicboard was replaced) and had to re-authorize iTunes. It is my first attempted backup since then. I don't know if that is related.

Has anyone else had similar problems or is aware of a fix? I am not sure what to do. :confused: Any advice would be most gratefully received.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My experience has been when you have the logic board replaced "yes" you will need to restart a new Time Machine backup. Your computer is seen as a different machine in some ways.

3. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

4. kdum8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Thanks both of you for diagnosing the problem and suggesting a solution. Much appreciated. In the end I just deleted the drive but it is good to know that there is an alternative possibility for a future occasion.

Cheers. :)