Time Machine adding external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mobgr, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. Mobgr, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by Mobgr: Apr 10, 2015

Mobgr macrumors newbie

I have backed up my Mac & two External drives using a third external drive & TM until a disc failure took one of my external drives out. I have installed a new external drive & retrieved the stuff that was on my original failed drive. I would like to include this new drive into my TM backup but I have no idea how to achieve this. I have considered renaming my new drive to that of the failed drive however I cannot believe that this will work because it seems such a simple process. I have replaced a WD My Book HD with a LaCie.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Open Time Machine preferences from System Preferences, click on options and remove the name of the external hard drive from the exclude list.

3. Mobgr thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean exclude my new disc? Then will I be able to include it in my TM process? Sorry to be stupid but I have never done this before.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.