Time Machine advice for multiple drives

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by furcalchick, Oct 8, 2015.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

Not exactly related to a Time Machine question that I had about a week ago, but sorta a follow up.

Recently, I moved all my data from an older Macbook to a more recent MacBook Pro (last of the non retinas), and I used Time Machine to migrate all my data. However, I wasn't quite sure to convert my Time Machine to Mavericks quite yet for reasons. However, I have a second hard drive I just got and I want to use that to back up my stuff as well. I'm wondering if it's okay to start using my new Time Machine hard drive right away without converting my older Time Machine, as I intend on using both. Thank you.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not a problem at all. Just attach the new drive and start using it. TM can alternate back and forth between the two drives if you like.

3. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

Even if you haven't converted the old Time Machine hard drive to the new Mavericks system yet?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you attach the new drive it will make a fresh, new backup. If you attach the old drive it should add the new backup data to the existing backup set. What OS the old backup was on won't matter.