Time Machine advice

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NunoBerny, May 10, 2013.

1. NunoBerny macrumors regular

NunoBerny

Hello!

I have an USB drive where my Time Machine backups reside, but for some reason the file system is Journaled+Case Sensitive. I was told this may cause problems, so I decided I will switch it to "normal" Journaled, not case sensitive.

But...

What's the best way to do it?
    Can I simply copy the Time Machine backup drawer (backups.backup.db) to another one, reformat and then copy it over again?
    Or will this give me trouble?

Thanks.

Mac Mini, 8GB, Mountain Lion

2. Bear macrumors G3

Read the directions provided by Apple.

I'd lean towards there not being an issue with copying the data around. However, that's only a guess.

3. NunoBerny thread starter macrumors regular

NunoBerny

Read and understood. ;)

I now have a problem in that I don't have any drive with 400GB free to copy the files to... ;(

I'll probably just delete the backups and start over from scratch.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is what I would do. Just reformat the drive and start over. In the time it will take to move that backup file (even if you had a drive to do it) you could have completed a new backup.

5. NunoBerny thread starter macrumors regular

NunoBerny

The downside is I'll lose the current backups, but since I don't have really important data, that´s no big deal.

I'll just do it and cross my fingers that I don't have any problem in the next few weeks.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is true is you want to keep older versions of documents etc., but isn't all your data current on the machine you are backing up?

Why a few weeks? If you start a new backup, even a large one, it should complete in a few hours and you would be all set. Did I miss something?

7. NunoBerny thread starter macrumors regular

NunoBerny

A longshot, but it could happen: if I have something faulty on my (current) system (like some corrupted file, but that remains unnoticed), having the possibility of reverting to where all was well will be gone.

This happened a lot on my previous system (AmigaOS4!!!!). Some MUI files (MUI=GUI tool essential to LOTS of Amiga programs) were installed and usually only gave problems down the line.

But that is probably not something worth worrying about now. ;)

Thanks!

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hah hah!! You're old. :p

(Fellow old guy :))

9. NunoBerny thread starter macrumors regular

NunoBerny

Yup! ;)

Managed to stay Amiga until my last one (AmigaOne) died. Then...didn't need to think much about it and went Mac. A very wise decision, it turned out.