Time Machine after a logic board replacement

Discussion in 'macOS' started by boston04and07, Aug 15, 2009.

1. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Is there still no good way to keep using Time Machine after a logic board replacement, without having to erase everything and start Time Machine from scratch? I was looking through the forums and found this article, http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20080128003716101 which describes how to replace your new MAC address with your old one, so that Time Machine can just resume where it left off. However, after following the instructions I'm still having troubles finding my old MAC address through Terminal. I noticed that this article (and all other posts about this subject I found) is pretty old, so maybe it's outdated and the process doesn't work anymore. Has anyone else found a way to keep backing up through TM after getting a new logic board??

2. cmaier macrumors G3

You can find your mac address by going to "about this mac" from the apple menu and clicking the "more info" button, then clicking the "network" entry on the left and selecting "ethernet" on the right top. ("en0")

That said, i just had my mainboard replaced, and ended up having to start over in time machine. I am using an infrant readynas for time machine, and even after changing the sparsebundle name to take into account the new mac id (which did enable time machine to mount everything) it created a new folder within the sparse bundle ("Cliff's Mac 2") and did a complete backup into that. Not sure how it knew to do that.

3. boston04and07 thread starter macrumors 65816

boston04and07

Yeah, that's what I meant - finding the old MAC address so I could change it back. Meh, oh well, I've had my Time Machine going for about a year so maybe it's not a bad thing to start fresh. This definitely seems like something Apple should address in the future though - it's pretty counterintuitive to not be able to access your backups after having this kind of repair done.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

Well, for me the issue isn't so much access as it is a waste of space. All my old backups are still there, and I can still manually access them (in fact, while my laptop was in the shop I used my wife's MBP to get at my time machine backups through the finder so I could fetch a few files and use them at work). I guess a lot of people don't know how to access the time machine backups through the finder, though.