time machine after fresh install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fuziwuzi, Jul 15, 2008.

1. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

i jsut completed a fresh install. and i added me time machien drive back, and it asked if i wanted to use that drive for time machine, and i said yes.

but it did not recognise my previous time machine install. i want to get os x to recognise my old install so that i can access the files on it. how do it do it.

cheers

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you've already done that it may have wiped it (sorry to be the bearer of that news). After an install you need to boot from the CD and use the installer to get information back off time machine. It will be a menu option at the top of the CD boot menu. Can't remember exactly what it is but it should be obvious.

3. fuziwuzi thread starter macrumors regular

no bad news, that data is there, i just want the backups to continue over the top of the previous ones. that is why i am confused, it said that 70gb was missing (my old time machine), but it wouldn't display my old data when i went into time machine.

the option you are talking about, i do not really want to use. i had a wireless issue, and "archive and install" did not fix it, i don't really want to bring back any stuff from my time that may kill my wireless again. but i still want general access to my old time machine.