Time Machine: After Migration, How do I get it to See Old(er) Backups?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ingenious, Feb 11, 2008.

1. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

I just got my iMac back from the Apple Store; they replaced some bad RAM.

They wiped the hard drive, and so when I plugged in my TM drive, it asked if I wanted to use it for TM, so I (of course) told it yes.

All of my old backups then showed up in the TM browser, but now, after migrating my old account from my TM backup, all I have is a backup from yesterday appearing; it won't back up any more data because it says it's out of room (apparently, it's trying to do a complete backup).

How do I get it to see the old backups and start doing incremental (or whatever!) backups again?

2. MurphyM macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. My Mac was migrated from my old Mac. I can see all my old backups. I don't need to restore like you did.

I don't want to wipe out all the old backups and start over. But it's telling me there's no room to backup, even though there is.

I'm thinking our only choice might be to start over.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm i know that its all still there.. its just that i dont know how to restore it all automatically.

on the TM HD there should be a folder called backups.backupdb.. all the files are in there, its basically a copy of your HD. i dont know how to restore them but...(settings that is) documets/musik etc can be restored easily but

4. MurphyM macrumors 6502

5. deboni macrumors member

deboni

Migration Assistant

I was reading earlier today that you can use the migration assistant to regenerate an old system onto a new disk from TM backups. I don't know how, but it's alleged to be easy.

Tom

6. ingenious thread starter macrumors 68000

ingenious

*sigh*

I started over.

I STILL can't get TM to back up my HFS+ (journaled) USB drive...

yea, it is easy... :D it's what we used to restore our systems. read the first post.