Time Machine after new HDD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mathcolo, Jun 6, 2009.

1. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Hi there...

So on Tuesday I got a new 500GB internal hard drive for my MacBook. I've been "Browsing my old Time Machine disk" to restore all the stuff that I need. At this point, I think I have installed enough stuff back that I should be able do my initial Time Machine backup again now.

However, I'd like to keep my old backup intact. On my Time Machine drive, I have the Backups.backupdb folder. Inside that, there's a folder with the name of my computer. Now, the main question of this thread, is how I can start a new line of backups while keeping my old backups intact? The name of my computer is the same as it was before I got the new drive. So how can I make sure Time Machine doesn't get confused with that?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Been wondering the same thing actually. I originally thought that should the name of the computer be the same as what the Time Machine backups have, it'd take care of it. But this appears not to be the case, and erasing and starting over on all those backups would be unfortunate.

Anyone?

3. mathcolo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm still having the problem. I don't want to risk losing my old backup but I also do want to start backing up again...

4. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Cant you just put a 1 at the end of your computer name so that Time Machine doesn't get confused?

5. mathcolo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would, but wouldn't that be annoying? (to have the pesky 1 there all day long, every day)