Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
I just went from ML to Yosemite. I used a new SSD so that I can revert back to my old system when (if) I want. I also want to keep my old backups done with Time Machine.

I use an external USB drive for the backup and would like to continue to use it.

The OS install and my important stuff doesn't take much space right now, maybe 20G.

Q. Is there a way to have Time Machine not delete the old ML backups and continue to use the same drive to backup Yosemite?

I kinda doubt there is, so the 2nd question, is there a way to copy the backup file somewhere else?

If I refuse to erase my ML backup, am I forced to use another device for backup?

I might be willing to erase the ML backup after I'm sure everything will work fine, so maybe using a USB stick as a backup will work for a while.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Just start using the drive, backups from before the upgrade time will still be there.

If you want to be sure, go into the backup drive in Finder, go into Backup.backupdb folder and rename the folder you find there (which will have your machine's name, add a suffix _ML for Mountain Lion). Turn TM off and back on and on the next backup it should create a new folder in Backups.backupdb with your machine name that will have the backups under Yosemite in.

TM will happily co-exist with other folders and space used on the drive, it doesn't insist on being the only data on the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.