Time Machine Airport Back-up Disk Update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by skycharacter31, Mar 26, 2008.

1. skycharacter31 macrumors newbie

So there is a new update for Airport Extreme base station, 7.3.1. I have heard that you can use an existing drive to wirelessly backup your data with Time Machine.

So far, I have verified and repaired the disk. It didn't work, so I plugged it into my computer again and this time I formatted it as Mac OS X (Journaled). I plugged it into the airport, and once again it there was no disk to mount.

After fiddling with the Airport Utility and enabling file sharing, I went to mount it, but there was only a folder for the back-up disk.

What am I doing wrong? Is there anything else to try to get Time Machine to work with my pre-existing hard drive?

2. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

Im not sure if this helps at all, but with an actual time capsule, the drive is only mounted when a backup or file retrieve is in progress. The disk image the automatically unmounts after a certain amount of time.

Im not sure if using an airport extreme w/airdisk as time machine will behave in the same way.

Does the disk show up anywhere in the finder? Can it be found using the "Choose Disk" in time machine system prefs?