Time Machine/Airport Extreme/Dual External HD's

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by G-Note, May 28, 2011.

1. G-Note macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am wondering if this will work and hoping someone can provide some advice. I have the current generation of Airport Extreme and have a 1TB External HD attached to it that stores all my media files. I use another 500 gb external drive (not compatible with airport extreme) that I plug in directly to my MacBook Pro for Time Machine.

This setup sucks!! Sometimes I go way to long before backing up.

Here is what I would like to do. Plug another external drive via USB hub and have two drives running from the airport extreme. My question is can I back up the other external HD in addition to the MacBook Pro?

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

You can plug the two USB drives into the Airport Extreme and use them both for whatever, but they cannot be backed up by the Time Machine program. Only internal drives and directly-attached drives can be backed up by TM.

Now, I may be wrong, as I haven't actually tried this, but that's my understanding. Anyone else?

3. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

you can backup wirelessly however it will do a few system backup everytime instead of just adding changes like it does when it is hardwired. i ran into this problem, called apple, and they said only the time capsule can wirelessly do a backup without having to do a full system backup everytime. my suggestion is either buy a time capsule or if you dont mind a full backup everytime go for it. i will say it gets annoying having to wait for almost 100 gb everytime though. supposedly though the western digital my book world does backup (not through time machine). there might be other NAS drives that can do time machine backups. im not sure of any but others on here might know of some.