Time Machine/Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'macOS' started by edm72384, Oct 19, 2007.

1. edm72384 macrumors newbie

Quick question:
    Using an Airport extreme with an external drive hooked up to the airport via usb.All the mac's in my house and one PC can access the drive wireless-Will time machine be able to back up to the external drive?

On a side note-I switched one month ago.
    I am surprised everyday by what this damn thing can do. I will never buy another PC.

Thanks!
    eric

2. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Ya, it should work ... I am picking up one this week for this purpose. I got a 500GB drive that I will be using for 2 machines.

3. universityprof macrumors newbie

Sorry to tell you that over at the Apple forums, they are saying that Leopard will NOT ship with support for Time Machine backups via Airport Extreme.

See:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5581444

Hopefully, they'll add this soon, since I already bought the equipment in anticipation that it would work. Ah, well. :-(

4. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Wow, that is *really* disappointing ... I was going to buy one today. Gah, that really throws a wrench into my plans.

5. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I just picked up an airport extreme tonight, and I was able to use timemachine no problem.

Of course, that doesn't mean the GM would work. However, it seems silly that they wouldn't support it.

6. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

It could just mean it isn't "officially" supported, but could still work. Maybe there is some Airport Extreme updates needed before Apple will officially support it.

7. projectle macrumors 6502

One can also say that one can use the hard disk in an AppleTV as a wireless backup device if one so chose with no "hacking" involved, just some minor tweaks to a certain pre-release OS.

One would probably want to go in and perform some further testing after a general availability release as to bypass the terms of a certain document agreed upon by certain parties...

All the information is already out there on various forums and IRC channels, though so there really is nothing to stop someone from experimenting if they were so inclined.
    ;)

8. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

It is disappointing, I was looking forward to the original ad stating that Time Machine can back up all the computers in your house the the USB Airport disk.
    Hopefully they will get it to work sooner than later.

9. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

yah hope this is fixed rather quickly as well i was planing on doing this aswell for my dad.

10. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

This is an enormous disappointment. One drive for multiple Macs in the house was the plan. Bummer.

11. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Why arent you guys searching the forums before posting a new thread? Just plain lazy? There are now 5 separate threads with the same question. *sigh*

12. rmh macrumors regular

Lets all wait until Friday to be either elated or depressed. The assumptions are getting us nowhere.

13. bkwest918 macrumors newbie

I can tell you for a fact it will not support this out of the box friday. Wonder what we have to hack to make it work! :p

/b