Time Machine/Airport Extreme

edm72384

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Quick question:
Using an Airport extreme with an external drive hooked up to the airport via usb.All the mac's in my house and one PC can access the drive wireless-Will time machine be able to back up to the external drive?

On a side note-I switched one month ago.
I am surprised everyday by what this damn thing can do. I will never buy another PC.

Thanks!
eric

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I just picked up an airport extreme tonight, and I was able to use timemachine no problem.

Of course, that doesn't mean the GM would work. However, it seems silly that they wouldn't support it.

Comment

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Manchester, NH
It could just mean it isn't "officially" supported, but could still work. Maybe there is some Airport Extreme updates needed before Apple will officially support it.

Comment

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
One can also say that one can use the hard disk in an AppleTV as a wireless backup device if one so chose with no "hacking" involved, just some minor tweaks to a certain pre-release OS.

One would probably want to go in and perform some further testing after a general availability release as to bypass the terms of a certain document agreed upon by certain parties...

All the information is already out there on various forums and IRC channels, though so there really is nothing to stop someone from experimenting if they were so inclined.
;)

Comment

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
It is disappointing, I was looking forward to the original ad stating that Time Machine can back up all the computers in your house the the USB Airport disk.
Hopefully they will get it to work sooner than later.

Comment

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
This is an enormous disappointment. One drive for multiple Macs in the house was the plan. Bummer.

Comment

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
Quick question:
Using an Airport extreme with an external drive hooked up to the airport via usb.All the mac's in my house and one PC can access the drive wireless-Will time machine be able to back up to the external drive?

On a side note-I switched one month ago.
I am surprised everyday by what this damn thing can do. I will never buy another PC.

Thanks!
eric
Why arent you guys searching the forums before posting a new thread? Just plain lazy? There are now 5 separate threads with the same question. *sigh*

Comment

rmh

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
Lets all wait until Friday to be either elated or depressed. The assumptions are getting us nowhere.

Comment

bkwest918

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2007
Lets all wait until Friday to be either elated or depressed. The assumptions are getting us nowhere.
I can tell you for a fact it will not support this out of the box friday. Wonder what we have to hack to make it work! :p

/b

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.