Time Machine Alternative?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jdaniel, Nov 23, 2013.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Hi guys so I have my WD 750GB currently working as a time machine back up.. but I can only restore from this but I cannot pop this in if my drive dies right?

I am aware of carbon copy cloner.. but is there something that works like time machine where i can choose what I dont want to back up... in this case my TV shows folder (unnecessary) and it would back up on its own and in the event that my HDD dies.. I am just pop it in and it is bootable?

2. Raunien macrumors 6502

SuperDuper is the only alternative that I know of that might work. I think it's only compatible with up to ML (10.8).

3. Modernape macrumors regular

CCC does exactly what you're asking for, so why not use that?

4. Benjamin99 macrumors member

I use both Time Machine (for versioned backups) and Carbon Copy Cloner for creating a nightly bootable clone. With CCC you can select what you want to backup specifically. I've had to use my bootable clone in the past, and worked flawlessly.

5. dimme macrumors 65816

SuperDuper! 2.7.1 backs up Mavericks just fine.

6. pscl macrumors 6502

i just ordered a synology 213j NAS drive. there are two 3TB NAS drives in it with raid 1. so u can use 3TB as timemachine backup and media storage and it is automatical backed up to the other harddrive (mirroring). there is no dataloss anymore. if one hd is damaged, just take it out, put a new one in, and it will be mirrored again from the other drive.

additionaly there are many other features like dlna server, webserver, access over the internet and many more. great machine.

edit: oh, wait... did i get the topic wrong? you are searching for an other software solution? im sorry. but maybe my post will be interesting to you. :)

7. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Great I've downloaded it and trying it out now I partitioned my 750gb into 2 and one for time machine and one for super duper just in case

8. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I've looked at that too but network backups doesn't that take forever? Connection speed is gonna be slow unless it works with a wired FireWire connection too.... I was looking to get a nas if it could be wired coz then I can save my video files on it quickly and the nas portions can work my my apple TVs..... But for it to work well and be able to use plex n transcoding on it it apparently needs lots of memory and the 214 play or something

9. MatthewAMEL macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

A good NAS will be faster than a locally attached drive.

The Drobo 5N via gigabit ethernet will destroy a locally attached FW800 drive.

That being said, my Drobo 5D (via Thunderbolt) is blazing fast.

I have an old Drobo Gen2 (4TB x 4) via USB that runs Time Machine for 4 clients that does the job with no problem. After the 1st backup is complete, the other take very little time.

10. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmmm ok I'll look into the ones uve mentioned thanks