Time machine always backs up..

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by mixel, Oct 21, 2015.

1. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

This seems odd to me - in the past when my iMacs been idling (it's set to never sleep) time machine wouldn't have anything to back up..

Now, every hour it backs up 230ish MB without fail every time.. Is there a way to figure out what the heck it's backing up and why?

Thanks! :)

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is a a hidden .Backup.log file on the backup drive. At the bottom of this forum post it shows how to access the file.

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

4. mixel thread starter macrumors 65816

mixel

Woo! That's really helpful. The log didn't go into enough detail to easily work out what was up, but TimeTracker has been really good..

Oddly it's the crashplan app (and a couple of other little things) that backs up to TM every time.. No idea why! It's compulsively backing up a backup app. o_O

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah just keep that site bookmarked. I think he puts in a timer so the app times out after a certain period of time and you just have to go download the latest copy.

Is it backing up the Crashplan.app APP itself? Or is it some Crashplan file that is constantly getting written to so it's always getting backed up (because TM thinks it's changed?)

Here's a good site with troubleshooting help: http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

-Kevin

6. mixel thread starter macrumors 65816

mixel

Yep, the actual App, which seems pretty incomprehensible! Thanks for the troubleshooting help too! I'll try reinstalling crashplan first, then run through as many different things as possible.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah, shouldn't be doing that. As a last resort you can exclude it from backing up the app.

-Kevin