Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznguy2772

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
OK, So i backed up my HD using Time Machine. Say that the HD on my computer crashed. What's the advantages and disadvantages of Time Machine as compared to say, Super Duper? Thanks.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
SuperDuper will allow you to make a bootable backup of your system, Time Machine will not. To recover your system from a Time Machine drive you would need to reinstall Leopard on your new HDD and select the option to restore from Time Machine.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
SuperDuper will allow you to make a bootable backup of your system, Time Machine will not. To recover your system from a Time Machine drive you would need to reinstall Leopard on your new HDD and select the option to restore from Time Machine.

Although ultimately, if the OP restores from a SuperDuper disk image, if their computer originally had Leopard on it, they'll end up with Leopard again.

Until we actually see whether or not completely restoring a Mac from a Time Machine backup drive will work well or not, it's difficult to say Time Machine is going to be as reliable as SuperDuper! (which ALWAYS works, as long as no errors are reported). However, if it is as reliable as Apple makes it out to be, then there's no reason to use SuperDuper!, Time Machine just gives you so much more...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Although ultimately, if the OP restores from a SuperDuper disk image, if their computer originally had Leopard on it, they'll end up with Leopard again.

Until we actually see whether or not completely restoring a Mac from a Time Machine backup drive will work well or not, it's difficult to say Time Machine is going to be as reliable as SuperDuper! (which ALWAYS works, as long as no errors are reported). However, if it is as reliable as Apple makes it out to be, then there's no reason to use SuperDuper!, Time Machine just gives you so much more...

Agreed. I highly recommend SuperDuper and until more time is spent with Time Machine it will be tough to do a direct comparison. It definitely looks promising though. As with anything though, different people have different needs, so SD will be better than TM for some and vice versa. :cool:

CashGap

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
Music City, USA
Here's my plan...

Partitioned a 500gb Lacie as 12gb for a SuperDuper clone of the Leopard install disk, the rest for time machine.

So if I have to, I can put a new HD in my MBP, boot off the Leopard install partition, install, and select Time Machine restore from the other partition.

cfredrickson

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Leopard and Super Duper

Super Duper only supports tiger currently. They are working on a leopard version. No date yet.

daniel huxtable

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
east chicago, indiana
i just ordered a OWC 500gb external harddrive for my 24" iMac but i have a few questions.

God forbid my computer crashes would i be able to bring up all my apps such as Photoshop, Illustrator, QuarkXPress from time machine when i reboot?

im still a n00b when it comes to apple. thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.