Time Machine and a lost/stolen Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GregPQ, Feb 28, 2010.

1. GregPQ macrumors regular

GregPQ

When my son left for college last fall, we got him a 13" MBP running Leopard and an external hard drive, which I Mac-formatted. I don't think he's used it yet.

If he used Time Machine to backup his Mac and then that Mac was lost or stolen, would he be able to restore any or all of his documents, or any of his applications, onto a new Mac?

I searched mroogle but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes. You can choose to restore from a TM backup during the setup phase of OS X.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, if he has a TM backup, he can restore everything, documents and applications to a new Mac if the original is lost or stolen
    Depending on the size of the external drive, he may want to consider partitioning the drive and using part of it for Time Machine and the other part for a clone using CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes.

With the help of Migration Assistant, all data, Applications and user files, can be restored onto a new Mac.

Unless the HDD is stolen of course.

The 6u is slow today. And the usual suspects answer anyway.

[​IMG]

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I suggest getting one of these for around his dorm room. Most of them are easy enough to cut through with a pair of wire cutters, but most would-be school notebook thieves aren't so well-prepared. All of them will work with any Mac.

You called? :D