Time Machine and a new MBP.?.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SiggSigg, Jan 7, 2012.

1. SiggSigg macrumors newbie

I just got a new MBP and I was using Time Machine on my old MBP which ran Snow Leopard. I've done some research and from what I have read I don't think you can just plug it into the new MBP and let it go, I may be wrong...If so what are you supposed to do with all the files, do you have to format the drive?
    Thanks in Advance!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It should create a new sparse image file for your new laptop and back that up as a separate backup - provided you have space to hold both.

3. SiggSigg thread starter macrumors newbie

The external drive is 500GB so it is not huge but it will do. So you are saying I can just plug it in and let it go, I don't need to do anything?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You shouldn't but it may present an error if the free space on that drive is insufficient to back up your new laptop.

5. SiggSigg thread starter macrumors newbie

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

AFAIK, it will only over-write (read delete) older backups from the same machine. So it is my understanding that it may not touch the older backups from our other machines. I've never done this, so I offer that as a caveat.

7. SiggSigg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help anyway I will keep reading and if I can't find anything I'll just call Apple.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

no problem. I didn't to steer you in the wrong direction and then have something happen that you were not expecting.

9. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

partition a part of the drive for time machine. i have 50gb and only back up apps and OS stuff. just take what you need and double it and there should be no reason it ever gets full. personally i turned time machine off and i back up manually.

10. SiggSigg thread starter macrumors newbie

The external HD is 500GB and it is already full, I could resize the partition using ipartition which I might do until I can get another drive. I was looking at this drive Iomega 1TB eGo Desktop Hard Drive, Mac Edition but the reviews scared me away. I think a drive b/t 500GB-1TB with Firewire 800 would be sufficient but I don't want to spend a fortune on a backup drive.