Time Machine and backing up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by downingp, Jan 27, 2008.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

Is it bad to have an external drive power up, back up, and power down every hour? Will it decrease the life of the hard drive? I have a western digital 1TB My Book.
    I feel backing up every hour isn't really necessary in my situation; maybe daily or weekly would be better. If, however, it doesn't hurt the drive to power up and power down every hour, I guess it doesn't hurt to back up that often.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

2. Chris204 macrumors regular

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I don't need an hourly backup... maybe once a day. Can this be done?

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I've always been under the assumption that leaving computer equipment ON puts less wear and tear than power on/off constantly.

Personally, I'd just leave it on and running all the time.....drives are built for that.

As for the scheduler, I know there is this program:
    http://www.klieme.com/TimeMachineScheduler.html

I have not used it, and don't know anyone who has, so I'd try/use at your own risk.

-Kevin

4. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems like the My Books by Western Digital have a built in mechanism to turn off after being idle for a certain time. Is there a way to turn that off so the drive is always on?

5. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

Taken from another thread...