Time machine and ext hd back up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by halfmonkey, Mar 20, 2014.

1. halfmonkey macrumors regular

I currently have an iMac and for my iMovie files, I save all of the clips to an external hd when I importing them into iMovie. I also save archive files to a separate external hd.

With that being said, I was messing around with Time Machine last night and I noticed that I could back up external hard drive to yet another separate ext hd that I use with Time Machine. Am I correct in this observation or does Time Machine not back anything up except what's on your iMac or other Apple product?

If it does allow back ups of the external hd that I use to store the imported iMovie videos and the archive videos, what happens if say the hd that I store all of my iMovie imported clips dies? How would I go about restoring that external hd with the Time Machine back up?

I guess I'm asking because I have not backed up any of the imported video clips in iMovie. I have another external hd that I use to archive the video clips and I have a 3rd external hd that use as a back up archive of the video clips. My thought process is, if the movie clips hd dies, I can always use one of the archive ext hd and just simply re-import the video clips into iMovie. I'm just looking to streamline my workflow. If Time Machine does allow me to back up these ext hd, then I'll now have a back up of my imported iMovie files and of my archive files. This would make life a little easier.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Time Machine by default will exclude any external drives from the backup set. So just go to the Time Machine preference pane in System Preferences and click the Options button then remove those external drives from the exclusions list. Then they will get backed up to whatever external drive you have selected as the backup destination.

To restore one of those you could just enter the Time Machine star field interface and select the folder(s) you want to restore and click restore and they would get put back in place.

3. PixelpusherBV macrumors member

Everything is as Weasleboy says. The only thing Time Machine won't back up are network drives, which annoys me immensely!

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Another member recently posted a warning regarding external disks being backed up by TimeMachine.

He said that if you ever allowed TimeMachine to perform a backup while the external drive (normally part of the backup) was disconnected or powered off, that the next backup where the external drive was present would back-up the entire drive, not just the incremental changes.

I have not had the opportunity (or desire) to test his claim. :eek:

This may be a non-issue for a desktop computer where drives are always attached, unlike a portable notebook computer where external data drives are routinely disconnected.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I saw that post also and have not tested it, but that is the first time I have ever seen anybody make that claim. One would think complaints about this behavior would be mentioned in the forums if this were the case.