Time Machine and Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blaklaybul, Jan 31, 2008.

1. blaklaybul macrumors regular

blaklaybul

If I get a large size Hard drive, lets say 500 GB, can I allocate 250Gb for time machine and another 250Gb for personal storage?

If so, how?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

should work fine. just partition it so that it shows up as two separate portions and designate one for time machine

i haven't played around with it myself, but should work without a problem.

3. hodgjy macrumors 6502

Yes. Partition the drive in half and tell Time Machine what partition to use.

4. blaklaybul thread starter macrumors regular

blaklaybul

.....also

Would it be possible to have nothing except leopard on my MBP's internal hard drive except safari, iWork and email? An have all of my other applications and files on the external?

5. hodgjy macrumors 6502

It really all depends on the application installer. If they're just drag and drop installs, that should work just fine. However, if an application uses the OS X installer, it might require you to put it on the OS X drive. Each application can vary. It all depends if the application requires OS X system files and libraries, etc.

6. EddieZ macrumors newbie

One snag to this scenario

The problem with buying one big drive and splitting it 50/50 for storage and backup is - if the drive fails, you lose your stuff and the backup of your stuff.

If you are going to get a storage system to use dual purpose, get something that can protect you from a Drive failure - like a Drobo or something. Drobo will let you do a partition for TM, and allow you to use the remaining capacity (and new capacity you can easily at to Drobo) for your personal storage.

Just don't be surprised if you lose anything if your single drive fails =(

- Eddie