Time Machine and HDD size question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kihon, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Kihon macrumors newbie

Hi Peepls

Quick and simple question:

I have a new iMac 24" with a 500GB drive and I want to run Time Machine.

Do I need to buy an external USB HDD that's exactly the same size or can I use a smaller drive?

Thanks!

2. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Depends on how much media you plan on having. If you are only using 100Gb, then buy a drive that is larger then that. The smaller the back-up drive the less time TM can store back-ups.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Assuming you do not have all 500GB full, then yes, you can use a smaller drive, however Time Machine will fill it up more quickly.

In general, you may also want to do a search here on MacRumors, as these types of Time Machine questions have been asked many, many times already.

Also, feel free to refer to our Time Machine FAQ. :cool:

4. matperk macrumors 6502

right.

it's actually better to have a drive that's larger because then it can keep a series of multiple revisions of your files. The more space you have the further back it can go for restores.

also it's something to remember that TM does not create a bootable backup of your system, you'd have to restore using your install discs, but those can use the TM drive to restore.

5. Kihon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the quick replies! I thought I had heard on Leo LaPorte's podcast that it "HAD" to be exactly the same size :)

Thanks ppls

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem. And keep in mind, as previously noted, TM will not create a bootable backup of your machine. For that type of functionality you should look at an alternate ultility such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. :cool: