time machine and ide drives

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jolton, Oct 26, 2007.

1. jolton macrumors member

Does anyone know if time machine will back up to an ide drive?

I have a 320gb drive connected under my cd rom in my mac pro and wanted to use this disk, as well as an external 800 fw disk for redundant backups.

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Any additional drive will work.

BTW, every hard drive now is "IDE" (Integrated Drive Electronics). I bet you meant PATA, the older pre-SATA interface...regardless, it will still work.

4. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The original name was ATA, not IDE*. IDE is another name for the older parallel ATA standard.

So you wouldn't regard SATA as IDE.

(*Was slightly wrong about this because IDE came out first, but SATA still isn't regarded as IDE)

5. jolton thread starter macrumors member

Reason I ask, is because the ide drive does not show up in time machine as a disk to back up to.

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

That's strange. Is it properly formatted in HFS+?

Try this

EDIT: Someone mentioned that you should just open the drive to view contents in finder before using time machine. This helps time machine "see" the drive, or something.

7. jolton thread starter macrumors member

It is formatted for HFS+. I was using it previously with Carbon Copy Cloner. I only got to play with it for a little while last night, so I'm going to try reformatting the drive and seeing if Time Machine see's it.

Also, has there been confirmation that you can have Time Machine back up to more than one drive? This may be why it's only showing the FW drive.

8. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Actually the ATA standard(s) implement IDE, and all ATA drives are technically IDE. You just proved my point, which is that people somewhat mistakenly use IDE as an analog to parallel ATA, or PATA. I'm just nitpicking, but that is the correct way to use the terminology. PATA (or just old "ATA") and SATA are both subsets of IDE technology, so just saying "an IDE drive" is imprecise.

jolton: I'm not sure, but I don't think you can use more than one drive. If you already configured TM to use a FW drive you might have to do something special to switch it to a different one.

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Well if we are nitpicking then technically it's the IDE that implements the ATA standard, not the other way around.

From the generic name itself IDE, Integrated Drive Electronics, includes every single type of disk drive in the world that has the controller built in. Floppy disk, CD, DVD, tape, scsi, fiber, SAS,USB, firewire, etc...

Which begs the question, why did you only include SATA and PATA when IDE stands for all those? Maybe he meant a fibre-optic attached RAID controller with SAS drives! That is still IDE by your definition.

However, before i digress further, I don't know many people in the world who would consider a SCSI drive to be IDE. Mainly because IDE in the case of hard drives refers to the "IDE standard" and not to the broad defination of the words it is derived from. The "IDE Standard" is another name for the "PATA Standard", but in most cases is shortened down to IDE and PATA.

While SATA standard is based upon the PATA/IDE standard, it technically isn't IDE (in terms of the standard). Just as C++ is based on C but no one would ever ask if you just said C.

10. jolton thread starter macrumors member

There are NO sata drives that connect via an IDE cable.

There are NO pata drives that connect via a SATA cable.

This is a moot argument. Please don't argue for the sake of simply arguing.

11. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I know that, but he doesn't :D

12. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Very cute. Yes, I do know that. I built comps for 10 years. I was just trying to correct the vernacular, but he's right, it's not worth discussing anymore. Some things are too ingrained.

13. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Well correct it with the right correction :)

Too ingrained != wrong. Or should i say <> in place of != ?

Unless you still believe a SATA cable is an IDE cable. Wow if i was helping you build a computer i'd have so much fun

"Can i have the IDE cable"

*hands you a floppy cable

"no, no, the IDE cable"

*hands you a scsi cable

"No i mean the ATA cable"

*hands you a SATA cable"

"No a PATA cable"

... hmmm PATA means Parallel Advanced Technology Attachment ... so...

*hands you a scsi cable again

Because of course SCSI is advanced technology attachment!

:D

14. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Seriously dude, quit.

jolton, if you get this working please let us know how. I'm curious.

15. JenRiskin macrumors newbie

Will time machine work over a network? It looks like a fantastic feature, but I like being wireless... would be nice to have it going on over my wireless network rather than have to plug in a drive.