Time Machine and iPhoto?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by supermarvin76, May 28, 2011.

1. supermarvin76 macrumors newbie

When I run a Time Machine backup, does it back up all the photos I have in iPhoto?

I am asking this because I bought my Mac in Jan. 2011. I ran my first Time Machine Back up in Feb. and I ran a second one just now. However, when I 'enter' Time Machine, it shows that iPhoto is only about 213 MB, (Not GB) and I know I have at least 80-100 GB of photos in iPhoto.

Is there a way that I can enter Time Machine, and see exactly what in iPhoto has, or has not been backed up?

Thank you!

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Launch Time machine when iPhoto is your foreground app and you should be able to "go back in time" to earlier versions of you iPhoto library and see you back-up pics.

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

By the way, why are you only "running" Time Machine once every couple months? If you have a desktop computer you should leave the hard drive plugged in and let it run all the time. If you have a laptop, then I guess the only thing you could do is to buy an Airport Extreme wireless basestation, and it has a USB port on the back for a drive you can connect to.

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

What Mathew said - why?

If that's all you use TM for I wouldn't bother with it, you may as well just copy the entire iPhoto package off to a disk once in a while. The entire point of iPhoto is that its hands-off and pretty much continuous, if you only back up every 3 months, its pointless.