Time Machine and iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dcentuori, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Dcentuori macrumors newbie

Is there a way to use Time Machine to restore individual photos from iPhoto? Awhile ago I exported a bunch of older photos from iPhoto to free up some hard drive space and I recently discovered that I apparently "exported as original" on several and lost the edits. But back in Time Machine I know must live the versions I wish to recover. It doesn't seem obvious to me how to do anything other than restoring the entire library.

Any tips on this?

Thanks,
    Dante

early 2008 White 13" MacBook 4,1; 2.4 GHz C2D; 2GB; 160 GB; 10.6.8

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

While in iPhoto, click the Time Machine icon in the Dock. You'll be able to browse through the backups of the iPhoto library and restore individuals photos or albums if you like.

jW

3. Dcentuori thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm able to do that, but the restored photo is in its original state. Yet in Time Machine, I can see the photo as it was edited. Therein lies the problem. I need to recover the edited photos. To free up space some time ago, I started exporting photos from iPhoto to an external drive and the first batch I exported as "original" and lost the changes; later I switched to exporting as "current" (or whatever the term is) to preserve the changes.

How can I get them out of Time Machine in their final edited form? Does it mean something that they appear as edited in Time Machine, or is that a red herring? Let's just say that another adult in my household will be very angry with me if I can't recover a few of these....

Thanks,

Dante

early 2008 White 13" MacBook 4,1; 2.4 GHz C2D; 2GB; 160 GB; 10.6.8

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

In your iPhoto Library, there should be a Folder called Originals. Your original, unedited photos will be in there.

5. Dcentuori thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. But is there any way to restore the edited versions from Time Machine? Getting to the originals is not a problem. The fact that I see the edited versions in Time Machine gives me hope...

Is there any more info I should provide?

Dante

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

You have iPhoto open and then click on Time Machine in the dock ?

iPhoto appears in the Time Machine window ? Use the Time Machine timeline to go back to the photo you want (the edited one) and then click the edited version and then click restore in the bottom left Time Machine window....

Does it not restore ???