Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
So I am wondering if it is possible to use Time Machine with multiple disks. To be more specific, say I have a 2009 MP with four 2TB drives. Say the first two drives held all my stuff including movies, music, project files, stuff like that. I would want the third and fourth drive to be used for Time Machine. I know I could set these up in RAID 0, but that would increase my chances of losing everything. Is there a way to make Time Machine backup to the third and fourth drive without using RAID 0? For example, is there a way to backup to the third drive, and when it gets empty automatically backup to the fourth drive?

If this is not possible, I was thinking about using disk three for a backup of disk one and disk four as a backup of disk two. Would this work better?

Thanks in advance for the help!

roliath

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2009
dallas
So I am wondering if it is possible to use Time Machine with multiple disks. To be more specific, say I have a 2009 MP with four 2TB drives. Say the first two drives held all my stuff including movies, music, project files, stuff like that. I would want the third and fourth drive to be used for Time Machine. I know I could set these up in RAID 0, but that would increase my chances of losing everything. Is there a way to make Time Machine backup to the third and fourth drive without using RAID 0? For example, is there a way to backup to the third drive, and when it gets empty automatically backup to the fourth drive?

If this is not possible, I was thinking about using disk three for a backup of disk one and disk four as a backup of disk two. Would this work better?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Why not just set the third/fourth as raid 1.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Why not just set the third/fourth as raid 1.

Because that would still only give me 2TB of backup storage, but would have a backup if one of those drives failed.

I want to have a total of 4TB of backup storage, does anyone know if it is possible?

uvitor

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Brazil
Hijacking the thread. I already have 3x 2tb jbod. Am I able to change those drives from internal motherboard sata ports to a pci exp sata card without loosing my jbod data?
Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.