Time Machine and JBOD question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by strausd, Jul 21, 2010.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

So I am wondering if it is possible to use Time Machine with multiple disks. To be more specific, say I have a 2009 MP with four 2TB drives. Say the first two drives held all my stuff including movies, music, project files, stuff like that. I would want the third and fourth drive to be used for Time Machine. I know I could set these up in RAID 0, but that would increase my chances of losing everything. Is there a way to make Time Machine backup to the third and fourth drive without using RAID 0? For example, is there a way to backup to the third drive, and when it gets empty automatically backup to the fourth drive?

If this is not possible, I was thinking about using disk three for a backup of disk one and disk four as a backup of disk two. Would this work better?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

Why not just set the third/fourth as raid 1.

3. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Because that would still only give me 2TB of backup storage, but would have a backup if one of those drives failed.

I want to have a total of 4TB of backup storage, does anyone know if it is possible?

4. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I think I will try Mac Applications and see if anyone there knows.

5. uvitor macrumors member

Hijacking the thread. I already have 3x 2tb jbod. Am I able to change those drives from internal motherboard sata ports to a pci exp sata card without loosing my jbod data?
    Thanks.