Time Machine and lacie question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by krissvl86, Jun 24, 2008.

1. krissvl86 macrumors newbie

Hello,

i need some help!

i have several lacie external hardrives daisy chained through firewire and brought a new one for OSX Time Machine feature.

can anyone tell me if this can be added to the daisy chain or does it need to be connected seperatly?

many thanks in advance
    :apple:for life.....

2. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I've not actually tried using TM on FW daisy-chained hard drives, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It may be a slower than using a direct connection - but TM probably won't care.

SL

3. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Firewire daisy chaining is (basically) the same as plugging it in directly to the computer. It doesn't look any different to the Mac no matter how you connect it. The only difference might be in speed, but for time machine speed is not a factor.

4. krissvl86 thread starter macrumors newbie

that is true, but when you format a HD to a Time Machine HD, it does look different - so was just wondering if this will make a difference?

5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

By look different I didn't mean the hard drive icon has a different color on your desktop, I meant that for almost all intents and purposes a Mac considers daisy chained firewire drives as if they were directly connected to your Mac's firewire port. To answer your question explicitly, I'm almost 100% certain that a daisy chined drive will work perfectly as a time machine drive.

6. krissvl86 thread starter macrumors newbie

great sounds good.

also 1 more thing!
    can i use the harddrive for other things or will it be strictly for the TM?

7. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I think TM at least needs its own partition. You can partition your Lacie in Disk Utility.

SL

8. krissvl86 thread starter macrumors newbie

correct me if im wrong but when you partition a drive you are re-formatting it? correct? or can you partition without a re-formatting?

TM wont work unless it reformats the HD when you plug it in so i dont think you can partition it can you?

9. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Time machine does not need its own partition. Any space not being used for time machine will be available like normal hard drive space. Just plug in a hard drive (with or without regular files already on it) and OS X will ask you if you want to use it as a TM drive. Click yes and then it will store your TM backup data in addition to whatever regular files and folder stuff you choose to put on the drive.

10. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I stand corrected. :)

Personally I prefer to give TM it's own partition anyway... but that's just because I like to keep things tidy.

I'm not going to say anything else at the risk of getting anything else wrong in this thread. :eek: But I run TM on a partition on my LaCie and it always works fine.

SL

11. tbohlsennswssrg macrumors regular

tbohlsennswssrg

You can only put partitions on a drive (without re-formating) on a HFS+ formatted volume