Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
california
Today I noticed my system disk on my MBP was getting way too full. I ran DaisyDisk and noticed that a folder called .MobileBackups was taking up a whopping 30 GB of space. After some investigation I learned about Time Machine's local backup snapshot "feature." Here's the situation - I have a 120GB SSD as my system drive, along with my stock 500 GB hard drive in an Optibay, which has roughly 285GB devoted for Time Machine. Obviously, I'd rather have the local snapshots be stored on the TM disk, where space is not an issue. However, it seems that local backups are just that, hourly snapshots that are stored locally for when I'm "away from my external TM drive." Well, since my "external TM drive" is not external, and I'm never away from it, it makes sense to disable this. Before I do, I'd like confirmation that this won't screw me over in any way. Do Mobile Backups have anything to do with Autosave? Any other cautionary advice I should know? Thanks in advance.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Versions are in /.DocumentRevisions-V100/ and resume information is in ~/Library/Saved Application State/.

The reason it's saving local snapshots is because Apple assumes you don't have a second HD (on a laptop). For desktop computers local snapshots are usually disabled if you have your TM drive connected all the time. It should be fine to disable them.

Last edited:

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
california
Versions are in /.DocumentRevisions-V100/ and resume information is in ~/Library/Saved Application State/.

The reason it's saving local snapshots is because Apple assumes you don't have a second HD (on a laptop). For desktop computers local snapshots are usually disabled if you have your TM drive connected all the time. It should be fine to disable them.

Thanks for the quick reply and the info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.